Welding Sten Mags
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding Sten Mags

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Welding Sten Mags

I bought an MPA mini-mac and it uses sten mags. I wanted to order some lanchester 50 round mags but they seem to be really expensive now(60 bucks each). I've decided the next best thing is to weld two mags together. I know people have done this. How would I go about welding the springs together and do you think it is possible to tackle this project with a mig welder or will I need the heat control of a TIG since the mags are so thin?

Also, anyone have one of the mini-macs? i haven't picked mine up from my dealer yet.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I have seen Sten mags welded with a mig and .023 wire. The guy used a sleeve at the butt joint where they were joined and a fillet weld between the sleeve and the mags. The spring is a tough question though.... Might try giving Wolf Springs a call or check with the gunsmiths at Brownells. They tell me that where there's a will there's a way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

hmm thanks, the sleeve idea definitely seems like the easiest way to do it with a mig, but I kind of wanted to make it look seamless, like it was always a 50 rounder.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I'm sure you could butt weld the mags together too with a mig if you were careful and then draw file the weld to make it look original. Sometimes that "one of a kind" look is well worth the little extra work. Body shops mig weld panels on cars all the time and a mag is at least as heavy as a body panel. Let us know how it turns out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I wouldn't weld the springs together, the temper will be lost and it would probably break pretty quick anyway. What you could probably do, if a longer one isn't available aftermarket, is to trim the top and bottom of the springs so you can intertwine a coil and then crimp a sleeve over the wires to hold them in place.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

ive done this with springs before....

and as strong as those sten springs are you dont have to worry if you lose a coil or 2....
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

good to know dutigaf, I'll let everyone know how it works out for me

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

well, I finally got around to doing this. I haven't tried loading it fully so I can't give a good estimate of how many rounds it holds. But basically I welded on a piece from a mag I had cut to about a 15 rounder. I'd say it is at least 50. The weld isn't great, but it is strong and didn't penetrate through so the follower slides freely(after some filing). as for the spring, right now I just used two small zip ties to hold the two pieces of spring together. it seems to work, only time will tell of course.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

forgot all about this bub....

for a more permanent spring solution you could always put you a piece of flat metal between the 2 springs and let it ride up and down in there?? would that work since those psrings have the flat bottom style??
    Hate takes LESS energy & thought... Dont be so Lazy.

Building or Bitching? which are you here to do?

YES, i work for TEC Tactical. 02/07 SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

yea I thought about doing that, I might do that sometime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.