Gunco Forums banner

School Rifle Build

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  corpsegrinder1981 
#1 · (Edited)
For my high school senior project, I chose "Modern Shouldered Small Arms Design and Development" ans a research topic. In addition to a research paper, I'm required to make a producr representing what I've learned. I'm going to build a non- functioning 1:1 scale cutaway model of my own rifle design. I like the 7.62x25mm round, so pps-43 mags would work for this build. Anyone have suggestions or would like to make a parts donation?

thanks, Josh

BTW: My topic is already approved by the school district.

See less See more
#2 ·
so pps-43 mags would work for this build. Anyone have suggestions
So are you asking for a pps-43 mag to do a cut-a-way on?
Contact vendors that have them listed on their sites and ask them for a "slightly damaged" one and give a brief explaination of what your doing, if anyone has any they will be glad to sell them at a discount.
If this isn't what you mean you need to give more info.

Welcome to the forum

#3 · (Edited)
Contact vendors that have them listed on their sites and ask them for a "slightly damaged" one and give a brief explaination of what your doing, if anyone has any they will be glad to sell them at a discount.
If this isn't what you mean you need to give more info.
I have contacted a few companies requesting mags and parts, but I'm sure their shops have been pretty crazy lately. No one has responded except sportsman's guide, which said no. Sorry I didn't post my parts request list. Here it is:

pps-43 mags

sten recoil springs (or similar)

pps43 bolt (for measuring feed lips) *a detailed measured drawing of the bolt would also work*

small parts like springs, pins, and internals

non- us made fcgs (triggers make cool bolt handles)

7.62x25 dummy rounds or just spent brass

non- us made grips (to pattern my own)

other stuff that'd be useful that I can't think of

#4 ·
Do you do any machining yourself? If not, send me the dimensions of the pins you need, I'll turn them. It seems like a fair enough cause to get behind. Make me a list of the smaller springs you want too.

#5 ·
Hi JW,

I got nothin for you in terms of parts. Just some friendly advise:

Take your project to the local cops, and ask them to inspect it and provide a letter attesting to the fact that it is a NON-Functional replica. Also, make double sure that the school will not hit you with a "Zero-Tolerance" issue.

If your teacher would give you a letter, you may find that DS Arms would be sympathetic to your cause. Not a promise, but they are a class-A outfit.

Good luck, and be sure to concentrate on the written side of the project. That is what will get you the grade. The mock-up is worth a bump.

Take Care!

#6 ·
No design is final yet, so an axact sized pin isn't needed, but the pps43 bolt or measured drawing is needed to pattern the feed lips on my own bolt. I have a machinist for my mentor, so I think that part's covered (CNC lathes, mills, waterjet, the works).

I'll definately get a gunsmith or the police dept to inspect my project to declare it non- functioning. If I can't avoid "firearm" classification, I'll just have our school resource officer help with the presentation.

The written aspect of my project is a no brainer. 7-10 pages of research will be pretty easy b/c I'm a pretty good writer.

#7 ·
Take your project to the local cops, and ask them to inspect it and provide a letter attesting to the fact that it is a NON-Functional replica. Also, make double sure that the school will not hit you with a "Zero-Tolerance" issue.
MANY SCHOOLS EVEN A FIRED CASING IS A NO NO. BE VERY CAREFUL AND ASK FOR OKS IN WRITTING FIRST. YEARS AGO I HAD A BRASS CANON CONSFICATED IT WAS MY COMBINED WOOD SHOP AND METAL SHOP PROJECT IT WAS BUILT WITH THE BLESSING OF BOTH INSTRUCTERS. IT WAS CAST BRASS FROM COLLECTED PIPE FITTINGS AND SCRAP AND THE WOOD WAS ALL OAK. I WAS TOLD NOT TO DRILL THE PRIMER HOLE. WHEN IT WAS 99% DONE THE PRINCIPAL CAME AN TOOK IT ( HE KNEW ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS) IVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT ON HIS TABLE AT HOME. EVEN 30 YEARS LATER IVE BEEN TEMPTED TO GET IT BACK SOME HOW. IT WAS OVER 2 FEET LONG.

ASK QUESTONS FIRST AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT. DONT BE SUPRISED IF RASIES A FEW EYEBROWS BEFROE ITS DONE.

#9 ·
DUDE... get your frickin cannon back! i would have gone and gotten it back that very day! something on that scale, with the amount of time spent isn't replaceable. if it's worth it to you, i would pull every string until i got it back, and then i would give that guy what was coming to him.. LOL. that is some serious BS... i dont know about you, but i would be PISSED

#8 ·
I have a written approval for my topic (approved by school committee and the county office) and I'll talk to our shool resource officer about my project soon. The only time I'd have anything at school would be for my presentation and I'd have our officer hold the model and dummy ammo in his office until then. He'd also help in the presentation.

#11 ·
In Junior High woodshop with the teacher's blessing I turned a beautiful piece of walnut into a billy club, err, tire thumper. Slaved over that piece of wood, it was a work of art. The principal came in one day, saw what I was finishing and "confiscated" it. Bet he still has that one, too!

#20 ·
seems to be common lol.i made "freshman" initiation paddles in carpentry class.the teacher took it away & wrote board of education on it,then gave it to the admin who was running for a spot on the board.that school was like nazi germany,my lock was randomly cut off my locker by the administrators & searched.they would tke my walkman,smokes,cd's, whatever you couldnt have in class(which of course i didnt) but the admins who confiscated my stuff kept it.i must have lost 5 cd players,even my leather jacket got taken because we werent allowed to walk the halls with a jacket.ah so happy school is a distant memory lol

#12 ·
Geeze school must suck these days! My ninth grade project was distilling corn likker from start to finish.

Next year I researched filter v/s non filter cigarettes.

Then I got smart , joined the golf team & spent most of my last two years partying on a golf course.

Man.............I'm such a dolt

#13 ·
I have to agree with bellson!!!!!! Take your project to the local cops, and ask them to inspect it and provide a letter attesting to the fact that it is a NON-Functional replica.
maby it is a good idea to get one from a gunsmith FIRST and bring both to the cops to get a note... you are potentialy playing with fire here!!
think ... someone sees something that looks like a gun, they call the cops, cops see you at the head of the class with cutaway gun in your hands. COPS SHOOT FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER think about it!! this is very posable!!!! maby it will not happen but still VERY posable... better safe than dead!! realy good luck with your project, I am shure you will find guys here continue to be helpfull.
be safe in every way

#14 ·
I'll get the letter certifying that it is non- functioning. The officer will hold it in his office until the presentation and he'll be there for the presentation. I'm not presenting in front of a class of students, just a few adult judges.

If I want to just avoid any trouble, I'll just take pics and a demonstration video to present.

#15 ·
A friend of mine was in the process of building an outlandishly huge battle axe for his welding class one year... Completely impractical as a weapon, wood cutter, or anything aside from pretty wall decoration... The axe head was about as big as his torso (him being 6ft 3in and not too skinny), and weighing in at about 25-30lbs. He had just gotten the six foot handle welded on when the principal of the college came over and ordered it destroyed. He had to torch the head into four pieces and cut the handle off (because the handle was still a good chunk of steel stock...

ALSO: In my middle school years, TONS of kids would take art, just to get to the pottery section, at which time they made BONGS AND PIPES like crazy!!! Very few got caught, and out of the 10 bongs from my class period and year, only one NON-BONG PIECE got destroyed... It was a bitchen coil pot, big tall flower pot like thing made out of one HUGE coil... an estimated 20 feet of 3/8" to 1/2" (not sure, also varied because it was all hand-rolled) coil on a 2-foot vase. It couldn't even hold water (a valuable ability and the prime ingredient in bong smoking) because it was one coil and one base plate... Too many holes in it. It would've leaked like a sieve. But, the principal was a dick and thought it looked too much like a bong. It was destroyed, and the chick who made it had a fit. Last I heard, parents and lawyers were involved, but nothing reached the news desks.

You can't have weapons, but you sure can make bongs and pipes if you make them not quite pipe/bong looking.

What the fuck has this world become? :\

We've enacted a "no tolerance" policy on weapons, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, etc. etc. etc. and the only thing enforced is the weapons policy, and it's enforced MORE than enough to compensate for the lack of drugs/tobacco/alcohol enforcing...

Fuck, every year while I was in Normal High School, there was some douchebag kid who'd sneak vodka or rum or some other liquor into class in a water/soda bottle, and get totally hammered... It seemed to be some sort of fucking achievement to see how quickly (from the first bell of the day) you could get hammered...

First period, about 45 minutes into the 1hr class period, Junior year #1: A girl had to go to the hospital to get her fucking stomach pumped from alcohol poisoning... Seems she CHUGGED this 16 or 20oz (soda/water bottle) of vodka in 15-20 minutes. Too bad she survived. >:\

I could go to any fucking high school and pick out 20 kids, of which 15 will have pot on them.

Damn near every high school or college kid smokes, and in my years of MIDDLE SCHOOL, there were kids putting DIPS in, in between classes.

But you can't have anything to do with firearms or knives. God forbid kids see a SPENT CASING!!!! They're supposed to be buying meth off the chem teacher or pot off the botany teacher, god damn it! If they're really hard-up, they can always go to the school counsellor and get recommended to a doctor that'd be MORE than happy to give them a prescription for the really GOOD narcotics!!! That's the American way!

--------------------------------------------

Anyway... Back to the original topic:

Now that everyone has warned you thoroughly....

I'm actually more curious to see what kind of designs you have in mind... :)

I've got two foreign AK fcg's, and one foreign AK grip (bakelite AK) that I could sell ya for 10 bucks plus shipping. Two triggers, two hammers, one disconnector because I can't find the other one. One set will be sort of rusty, and no springs included. Can't find those either. X)

I could throw in two muzzle brakes as well, 5 bucks for both, 14x1 Left-hand.

I have to keep the grip and one muzzle brake until I get US-made replacements... The brake because I need to keep the threads protected, and the grip for fitting the trigger guard once I get the flat going...

Just wondering when you'll need them. I can send everything in a month or two.

Also: It may be possible for those around here to donate some torched barrel stubs? Wink wink nudge nudge... This way, all you'd have to do is wedge/weld some round stock in place of the missing barrel section, and you'll have a totally inert rifle! :)

Sorry I can't provide more helpful parts... If you want, you could order/find from members a stamped receiver safety lever and I'll donate my current project's lever. It's rusty on the inside of the lever, where the paddle meets the lever... I LOATHE rust. Can't handle even the feel of it. Rust has ended the lives of too many beautiful steel items, and I hold a massive grudge... Would be better if I could trade and donate my rusty one, because that way I wouldn't be stuck with a safety lever rusting away when I replace it, and you'll get another part toward whatever you're building...

I dunno, let me know...

- CK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.