School Rifle Build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Rifle Build

Feedback Score

Lightbulb School Rifle Build

For my high school senior project, I chose "Modern Shouldered Small Arms Design and Development" ans a research topic. In addition to a research paper, I'm required to make a producr representing what I've learned. I'm going to build a non- functioning 1:1 scale cutaway model of my own rifle design. I like the 7.62x25mm round, so pps-43 mags would work for this build. Anyone have suggestions or would like to make a parts donation?

thanks, Josh

BTW: My topic is already approved by the school district.
    Last edited by jwmeyers623; 02-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

so pps-43 mags would work for this build. Anyone have suggestions
    So are you asking for a pps-43 mag to do a cut-a-way on?
    Contact vendors that have them listed on their sites and ask them for a "slightly damaged" one and give a brief explaination of what your doing, if anyone has any they will be glad to sell them at a discount.
    If this isn't what you mean you need to give more info.

Welcome to the forum

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Contact vendors that have them listed on their sites and ask them for a "slightly damaged" one and give a brief explaination of what your doing, if anyone has any they will be glad to sell them at a discount.
    If this isn't what you mean you need to give more info.
    I have contacted a few companies requesting mags and parts, but I'm sure their shops have been pretty crazy lately. No one has responded except sportsman's guide, which said no. Sorry I didn't post my parts request list. Here it is:

pps-43 mags

sten recoil springs (or similar)

pps43 bolt (for measuring feed lips) *a detailed measured drawing of the bolt would also work*

small parts like springs, pins, and internals

non- us made fcgs (triggers make cool bolt handles)

7.62x25 dummy rounds or just spent brass

non- us made grips (to pattern my own)

other stuff that'd be useful that I can't think of
    Last edited by jwmeyers623; 02-18-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Do you do any machining yourself? If not, send me the dimensions of the pins you need, I'll turn them. It seems like a fair enough cause to get behind. Make me a list of the smaller springs you want too.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hi JW,

I got nothin for you in terms of parts. Just some friendly advise:

Take your project to the local cops, and ask them to inspect it and provide a letter attesting to the fact that it is a NON-Functional replica. Also, make double sure that the school will not hit you with a "Zero-Tolerance" issue.

If your teacher would give you a letter, you may find that DS Arms would be sympathetic to your cause. Not a promise, but they are a class-A outfit.

Good luck, and be sure to concentrate on the written side of the project. That is what will get you the grade. The mock-up is worth a bump.

Take Care!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

No design is final yet, so an axact sized pin isn't needed, but the pps43 bolt or measured drawing is needed to pattern the feed lips on my own bolt. I have a machinist for my mentor, so I think that part's covered (CNC lathes, mills, waterjet, the works).

I'll definately get a gunsmith or the police dept to inspect my project to declare it non- functioning. If I can't avoid "firearm" classification, I'll just have our school resource officer help with the presentation.

The written aspect of my project is a no brainer. 7-10 pages of research will be pretty easy b/c I'm a pretty good writer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Take your project to the local cops, and ask them to inspect it and provide a letter attesting to the fact that it is a NON-Functional replica. Also, make double sure that the school will not hit you with a "Zero-Tolerance" issue.
    MANY SCHOOLS EVEN A FIRED CASING IS A NO NO. BE VERY CAREFUL AND ASK FOR OKS IN WRITTING FIRST. YEARS AGO I HAD A BRASS CANON CONSFICATED IT WAS MY COMBINED WOOD SHOP AND METAL SHOP PROJECT IT WAS BUILT WITH THE BLESSING OF BOTH INSTRUCTERS. IT WAS CAST BRASS FROM COLLECTED PIPE FITTINGS AND SCRAP AND THE WOOD WAS ALL OAK. I WAS TOLD NOT TO DRILL THE PRIMER HOLE. WHEN IT WAS 99% DONE THE PRINCIPAL CAME AN TOOK IT ( HE KNEW ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS) IVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT ON HIS TABLE AT HOME. EVEN 30 YEARS LATER IVE BEEN TEMPTED TO GET IT BACK SOME HOW. IT WAS OVER 2 FEET LONG.

ASK QUESTONS FIRST AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT. DONT BE SUPRISED IF RASIES A FEW EYEBROWS BEFROE ITS DONE.

Feedback Score

I have a written approval for my topic (approved by school committee and the county office) and I'll talk to our shool resource officer about my project soon. The only time I'd have anything at school would be for my presentation and I'd have our officer hold the model and dummy ammo in his office until then. He'd also help in the presentation.

firearms enthusiast kurts_armory's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    MANY SCHOOLS EVEN A FIRED CASING IS A NO NO. BE VERY CAREFUL AND ASK FOR OKS IN WRITTING FIRST. YEARS AGO I HAD A BRASS CANON CONSFICATED IT WAS MY COMBINED WOOD SHOP AND METAL SHOP PROJECT IT WAS BUILT WITH THE BLESSING OF BOTH INSTRUCTERS. IT WAS CAST BRASS FROM COLLECTED PIPE FITTINGS AND SCRAP AND THE WOOD WAS ALL OAK. I WAS TOLD NOT TO DRILL THE PRIMER HOLE. WHEN IT WAS 99% DONE THE PRINCIPAL CAME AN TOOK IT ( HE KNEW ABOUT IT FOR MONTHS) IVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT ON HIS TABLE AT HOME. EVEN 30 YEARS LATER IVE BEEN TEMPTED TO GET IT BACK SOME HOW. IT WAS OVER 2 FEET LONG.

ASK QUESTONS FIRST AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT. DONT BE SUPRISED IF RASIES A FEW EYEBROWS BEFROE ITS DONE.

DUDE... get your frickin cannon back! i would have gone and gotten it back that very day! something on that scale, with the amount of time spent isn't replaceable. if it's worth it to you, i would pull every string until i got it back, and then i would give that guy what was coming to him.. LOL. that is some serious BS... i dont know about you, but i would be PISSED
    gun control means hitting your target

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kurts_armory View Post
    DUDE... get your frickin cannon back! i would have gone and gotten it back that very day! something on that scale, with the amount of time spent isn't replaceable. if it's worth it to you, i would pull every string until i got it back, and then i would give that guy what was coming to him.. LOL. that is some serious BS... i dont know about you, but i would be PISSED
    That's the attitude we need to take when Obama starts passing laws

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.