SKS rebuild
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS rebuild

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default SKS rebuild

O.K., we have a new project. Rebarreling a sks. Anybody have tecniques for bbl removal,installation? pressed/pinned chinese m21. Thanks.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score

Hello mtdew,
    I have used an aluminum drift with a pilot turned on the nose to prevent the drift from slipping out of position (at a slight angle in an SKS chamber). Some penetrating oil and perhaps even heat my be needed prior to applying a 2 lb hammer.

The receiver was protected by shaped aluminum blocks lightly clamped in place. A large (6 inch or more) size vise restrained this assembly. Don't forget to remove the small barrel cross pin.

The Chinese SKS barrels are a nominal 19mm diameter at the breach like their AK barrels. I just measured one at 19.05mm.

A friend has successfully rebarreled SKS's to .223 cal after we had been told all sorts of horror stories and BS. I believe that the Chinese SKS receivers are castings. Others may be also.

Are you changing caliber on your SKS ??

VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

thanks, viper. No cal. change, chamber was welded inside,has lob of weld in chamber and bolt face was welded. Any idea why? I think it may have been a drill/parade rifle or something like that. Anyhow, my bud inherited it and has 0$ in it so we are going to try to get it running. I've rebarreled Ak's so I have an idea of how to go about it, but I wasnt sure with the rec. in the way. Taking the trunnion off an ak is easy since theres no rec. behind it to get in the way, but your way seems the way to go.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Never re-barreled a SKS but I've thought about converting one to 223 for a long time, how did your friend do it viper ?? A New barrel, how did he close down the bolt face ? weld it up and re machine it?? What magazine did he use.. may be a tricky one. I think the best rout would be to get the SKS that takes AK mags and then get 223 ak mags one problem solved...as for rebarreling, I'd guess knock the cross pin out once it is removed, you press out the old barrel like a AK... I'd love to build a heavy barrel SKS like with a RPD barrel or bren barrel rechambered. I think that would be way cool... B2B

Feedback Score

Hello mtdew and b2b,
    The welded chamber and torched bolt face are typical of Euro dewats that were once available over there.

SARCO or Numrich GPC may still have a Chinese 19mm SKS barrel or two left from the old days. An AK barrel is typically fatter and thus could be turned down as needed. If there is a pre-drilled gas port in the AK barrel you will need a work-around, maybe a modified SKS gas tube and piston. I recall that the SKS piston is 13mm diameter ie a bit smaller than the AK piston.

Very early Russian prototype AK's used the gas system borrowed from the SKS. However today the two gas systems are very different.

The .223 cal SKS variants used modified Stoner barrels. The stock SKS bolt was modified with a reground extractor that could hook onto the .223 rim to extract it. The same extractor would also push the case across the larger bolt face and into the SKS ejector. Tricky solution. No need to weld up and remachine the bolt face or ejector. However the fat SKS firing pin tip needs to be slimmed down to .223 size. The fat pin hole in the bolt tends to paper-punch the primers. Also a thin, tiny coin-like face was added to the SKS bolt having this smaller pin opening. Silver solder held it in place.

This over-size firing pin problem existed also on early Polytech .223 AK imports. The original 7.62x39mm firing pins are too fat for the higher pressure .223 ammo. They caused paper punched primers and blew crap back at you.

The SKS standard "magwell" was tweeked until it fed the .223 ammo efficiently. Grind a little here and there, bend tab "A" and tab"B" in slightly and carefully. Adapting a .223 AK mag is another solution. The SKS receiver must be opened up a bit much like when you adapt a regular AK mag to the SKS action. Also the bottom of the SKS bolt must be narrowed to pass between the AK mag feed lips.

Sorry I've forgotten the .223 cal gas orfice size. It's been almost 20 years ago. All in all the caliber conversion is not for the newbie.

Later,
    VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New problem-threaded bbl. Easy enough to get off and install, I've done numerous mausers, fal,galil,etc. Question is where to get threaded bbl for m21 sks? Thanks
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

It may be worth a call to Numrich to ask if they have a used chinese threaded barrel. They aren't that rare and perhaps one of the cut up ones is that style. Other than that My Yugo is a threaded barrel also, but I don't know if the barrel threads are the same as the chinese.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

are the type 45,type56 threaded or pinned? I cant tell from the photos.
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm gonna call numrich tomorrow. The thing is that my boss bought the rifle from my friend because I had said it could be fixed for a hundred dollors. Hes all exited and now I'm not sure I can find a bbl. I sure wished I had looked at it closer and seen it was threaded not pinned. Now he has 60 bucks invested. Hes not just my boss but a good friend also so please help me find a bbl. Gunco folks are the best.Thanks
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.