Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: SGN-22 article

Feedback Score

I bought several barrels just in case I screw one (or more) up during the build. I should have some more time tomorrow afternoon to have a go with rechambering. I will try to post some pics.
    Last edited by TradeGun; 05-01-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Feedback Score

Here are some pics of the barrels before and after cleaning up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

I turned the threads off and bored the chamber out with a 13/32" drill bit 2" deep. I then lined it with a short section of .22 rimfire liner. I still need to cut a new chamber and an extractor slot and weld the gas port shut and the barrel will be finished
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looks good, I'm going to have to order some steel for the bolt soon or just make one out of mild steel for practice.

Feedback Score

I've got an Amish machine shop close by for plain old mild steel, but for decent 4130 I have to go online to get it.

Feedback Score

good job

Feedback Score

Thanks, I'm hoping to get some more time this weekend to work on it some more. Between work and helping the kids with school projects and now yard work, time gets almost as tight as money.

Moleman, do you see any leading at the beginning of the rifleing with the long chamber throat and oversize bore on your AR?
    Last edited by TradeGun; 05-08-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Thought of a question after I hit send

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A little, but only if I shoot a lot. I have ar barrels in 1 turn in 7",8", 9", 12", 14". I was mostly shooting it in the 1-14" twist barrel (that I thought was a 1-9" until I shot 62gr ammo in it) and a 1-9" barrel. When I get more time I'll see if the adaptor is more accurate with the slower twist rate rifling. Where I get the most fouling is in the neck area of the chamber where the insert ends. I clean the chamber after every time I use the adaptor because the only time I didn't the 5.56 case rim ripped mostly off and the extractor pivot pin bent. Your barrel shouldn't have that problem since you're not switching back and forth between 22lr and 223. The fouling I do get is light and comes out in a couple passes of the bore brush.

Feedback Score

ok,
    Ive got all the articals so far and I keep thinking that the ejector pin will fork for a singel shot but a semi auto it wount work that long. I think the spring would fail or cause FTE. what Im getting out of his build is the bolt is closr to a AR type of bolt. and this got me thinking that I could pattern this after an AR upper using a slot in the side for a fixed ejector. what do you think so far? muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm also going with the fixed ejector only comming up from the bottem. I think I'm going to use a spare A2 upper I have and make the ejector be part of the magwell adaptor, perhaps even spring loaded a little bit so that it's always up against the bolt even if there's a little slop in the fit of the magwell adaptor. I thought about comming in from the side with the ejector, but I've seen pistol cal magwell adaptors for the ar15 that use an ejector mounted to it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.