Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: SGN-22 article

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My goof!! I left out the word "the".

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I got a little more work done on the 17hmr bolt for an ar15. I got the bottem front of the bolt cut, charging handle cut, and the (gas) key cut. I still need to: make a hammer cut; finish milling out the bolt face from a circle to an upside down "U" which will remove the feed lip; turn down back end for .930" tube to bring it up to length; firing pin channel and retainer; extractor cut. I debated leaving the feed lip on, but thought it might accidently set off a rimfire round if it got bent as it is quite thin. The extractor cut will have to wait until I get a 17hmr barrel to match up the cut to the barrel. If anyone knows a source of cheap 17hmr barrels I'm all ears! Here's some pics of it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

looking good so far!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I ended up cutting the bolt to the same length as a M261 22lr adaptor and drilling it for a M261 firing pin. I also cut the back of the bolt on an angle like the M261 bolt is since the hammer doesn't hit the firing pin square. It seems to work for the M261 and that way I can just use the M261 firing pin (I would like to make an extra for mine anyways. The steel tube I was going to use to bring the bolt up to the same length as a reqular ar15 bolt ended up being too thin so I ordered some 1"x.188" wall 4130 tubing which I hope will be here by the weekend. I still need to: get a barrel so I can make the extractor cut; make a key and install it; drill firing pin retainer hole; turn down back end and install tube + cut for hammer clearance. Here's some pic's of a M261 bolt and my bolt so far for comparison.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I made a .930" diameter bolt extension to bring it up to the same length as a regular ar15 carrier. I'm leaving it longer until I get the 17hmr barrel I got off of gunbroker so I can make it the correct length. My buddy has a old palmetto arms ar15 that kept breaking the buffer tube retainer. I finally tracked it down to the rewelded demilled carrier that was used being about 1/16" too short. I don't want to end up with the same problem, so I'll wait until I get the barrel mounted so I know exactly how long the total bolt length should be. I even made the bottem hammer cut longer (as an after thought) so its more like a semi ar bolt carrier. It fits inside a ar15 upper and slides smoothly. So I'm just waiting on the barrel to show up before I can do much more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by muttman View Post
    moleman,
    just inquiring as to the need to case harden the drill press shaft? it shoul be good steel in the first place. muttman

Muttman, curiosity got the best of me about the heat treating of the bolt while I wait for my barrel to arrive. I ended up cutting off a 1/8" thick coin sized piece off of the bolt scrap and did a normal water quench then temper to dark blue/purple. The coin turned out hard enough that a file will just cut it, but it sounds like its damaging the file.I even hit the heat treated coin with a hammer to make sure it wasn't brittle. I think I'll just do a normal heat treat on the bolt and save the kasenit for other parts.

Feedback Score

moleman,
    I did not mean to kill the cat . Im glad to see it went all good for ya. muttman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks, I'm just going crazy waiting for the barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 17HMR barrel came yesterday. The first thing I noticed is how low the extractor slot is in the barrel. I matched it up with my bolt and I believe that its too low and I may have ejection problems because of it. My next stumbling block is how to mount the barrel. I had thought of just making a similar barrel wedge setup as the ruger to hold the barrel to the barrel bushing, soldering on a barrel bushing, screwing on a barrel bushing, pressing+pinning on a barrel bushing. Soldering on the bushing seems like the least amount of work, but I don't know how well it would hold up to the battering. I think I can rotate the barrel slightly to change the position of the extractor cut so that its more in line with an ar15 extractor position. I'll have to think on it some more before I make the bushing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.