Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vz58 finally done

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    I think it's easier, with a 100% receiver that is. The main thing I've noticed is how the barrel fits the receiver, this is the only part that could cause some time consuming work if it's to big or small.
    The receiver is the biggest expense.
    true but with the price of the kits it would seem to even out the difference
    i've also heard the accuracy is better than the ak is that true?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

true but with the price of the kits it would seem to even out the difference
    I agree with it kind of "evening out", kits vary from $150-180 for the VZ while AK kits are still pushing $300 on the low end.
    i've also heard the accuracy is better than the ak is that true?
    Only using some Wolf & Golden Tiger at ranges within 75 yards I'd have to say they are about the same, I can't say for longer ranges yet, but the VZ feels smoother and more solid for the little I've shot one.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

The barrels were usually either .8245 approx or .8255 approx. and that .001 makes one hell of a diff when trying to press. They only call for a .0005 press fit. ORF sells both a large hole and small hole receiver. I did my first on their receiver with only minor fitting needed to make function and I'm using one on a 6.5 grendel vz build. It would be wise to mic the barrel before ordering. You can request either size under the comments section. Czechpoint pulled their receivers from the website and is no longer selling them to the general public. Which is ashame as they were czech made and great quality. But the opening on theirs were all on the small side. From what I've found it looks like the older kits had the larger barrels and newer parts kits have the smaller barrels. IE made in the 60's larger made in the 70's smaller. I may be wrong, but thats what I've noticed so far.
    Aside from the barrel they almost fall together, took me longer to get the pin out of the romy than to build and finish my first vz. The only rifle I put together that was easier than the vz was an AR.

Feedback Score

There are some "cheap" kits (under 100)out there, but most are missing the bolt, locking piece, fcg and small internal parts. Aside from the fcg which needs to be replaced anyway the price of the other parts drives it up near the complete kits.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

took me longer to get the pin out of the romy than to build and finish my first vz.
    OH my, I think that is so funny because I helped with a Romy like that.
    And my est price on the VZ kit I think is what Apex wants, not many places seem to have the kits listed anymore.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

im still kicken myself for not buying a few when centerfire systems was selling them for 80 bucks a few months back

Feedback Score

I got another complete fixed stock for 100, but the guy dinged up the breach end when he tried to hammer the barrel out of the stub. The barrel is usable if I get desparate. But I can always get another barrel from czechpoint or apex. Those partial kits werent too bad a deal when the bolts were cheap. But since the bolts are running around 50 a pop it just doesnt make sense.
    Most of the kits are on gunjoker, I did watch one the other week only go for about 130, std folder complete. But he had it listed as vz858 kit. I memory serves isn't that the civilian version that they sold in canada?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

In my opinion the VZ58 is a better weapon than the AKM in the field, but the AKM is a far better project for a first build. The vz58 is going to be mostly a metal finishing and headspacing project (unless you want to take the gamble at the 80% receivers out there). Using a finished receiver is best for the vz58.
    The AKM gives you more options for your build and you have the options of buying a finished receiver or a flat (depending on your time, tooling, or skill level), metal finishing, or the ultimate challenge for your first build is to get one of those yugo kits out there that need the barrel pressed together and bending up an old tapco m70 flat to go with it!
    Good luck on your build!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

What are the compliance parts on a vz58?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R View Post
    What are the compliance parts on a vz58?
    Dug up the old thread - I'm counting 16:

http://www.gunco.net/forums/f151/que...uilders-33193/
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.