Thread: black power pistol biy?

Feedback Score

Default black power pistol biy?

has some body ever made a black power pistol from scratch? I was thinking it can be made and sombody has made one I just have not found a refrence to the bore size for a 50 cal smoth bore. the rest of the build would not be that hard to fab up. muttman

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Well, Hornady makes .50 round balls in both .480 and .490 diameters, and their .54 ones are .530. Looks like they allow .010 to .020 for the patch. So I'm thinking make the hole .50. To be sure I would just buy/cast some balls and bore a .50 cal hole in a bar and try the fit, if too small open up a thousandth or three at a time until you get an acceptable fit with your particular ball and patch combo.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I measured my CVA 50 hawkins and got .500" land to groove. I use mostly patches and .490" round balls for plinking and sabotts and 240gr bullets for deer. Good luck with your build.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Well, Hornady makes .50 round balls in both .480 and .490 diameters, and their .54 ones are .530. Looks like they allow .010 to .020 for the patch. So I'm thinking make the hole .50. To be sure I would just buy/cast some balls and bore a .50 cal hole in a bar and try the fit, if too small open up a thousandth or three at a time until you get an acceptable fit with your particular ball and patch combo.
    kernel,
    thanks this gives me a better idea of what Im dealing with. this will be a smoth bore fun gun. I dont need a "target" pistol my cz52 work's well for that. and I have all ways likes the idea of a musket pistol but the chepest kit that I have found was $300 over at dixiegun works. muttman

Feedback Score

moleman, was that land to land or groove to groove, or land to groove? this will make a difrentents in what I use ( reamer or drill bit). muttman

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Muttman, I remeasured and counted the rifling to make sure its an even number, its an even number at 8.
    the land to land is .492"
    the land to groove is .500"
    the groove to groove is .508".
    Hopes this helps, its a late 80's/early 90's CVA hawkins .50 cal that I took the measurements from.

Feedback Score

moleman,
    thanks for rechecking. now I can use a .5" reamer and still have room for a patch.

muttman

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.