Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am working on a MAS 49/56 Build.

Feedback Score

Default Am working on a MAS 49/56 Build.

Please NO, Only dropped once ,never fired Jokes.Started life as a Century .308 hack job. I never could get the chamber cleaned up enough for it to extract reliably without destroying the brass.A local gunsmith who helped me with my FAL is helping me with the barrel on this one. I bought a new barrel from Midway and he is turning it to the correct profile and chambering it , as well as doing the new gas.block and mounting a flash hider for me.I am going to make a new stock and lower for it and convert it ot accept FAL mags. The original stock is badly cracked and is not very functional.I am looking at using FAL components for the lower. I will also have to make a forearm .
    Last edited by ncredleg; 08-11-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Welcome Aboard Friend

Nice project to keep ya busy.Keep us posted.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score

There is a page on FALfiles about doing pretty much the same thing, except with MG13 mags, and a terrible paint job, it was a gunbroker ad, I'll try and find it for you.

Found it. FAL/MAS 49/56 Frankenstein Rifle : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

sounds like a car I once had. All I needed to do to it was jack up the radiator cap and run a new one in under it. And then, of course, replace the radiator cap.

Good luck with it. It will be quite a unique gun when you get it finished.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score

Hello ncredleg,
    Having built several MAS-49 rifles I discovered that the direct impingement gas system used causes some grief with the higher pressure NATO and .308 Win ammo. The usual solution involves a well-polished chamber.

I tried rechambering the original 7.5mm French barrel to .308 which caused extreme cycle-pressure problems. I then rebarreled using an FAL chrome-lined barrel. That helped notably. Were I to do any more conversions I would stick with a fluted G-3 barrel to solve the extraction stick problem.

A similar problem exists with the Egyptian 8mm Hakim that uses the same type direct impingement gas operating system.

My custom conversions used AR-15 furniture. The stock was adapted using a milled aluminum block which also mounted the AR pistol grip attached from the inside (reverse of the MAS). The grip bolted to a steel wedge fitting welded to the trigger frame and that assembly was further bolted to the receiver via another bolt from inside the receiver. Sounds mouse but is very solid.

Modified French 25 round LMG mags were used. Feed lips must be tweeked for proper feeding.

Please post some pics of your finished rifle.

VD

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yes please post whatever info you can, complete details would be nice too.

I got one of these in .308 and it works well, any more info on the MG13 mag thing?
    I also got a spare receiver and barrel, not sure what I want to do with it yet.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Question I don`t even know where to begin with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    There is a page on FALfiles about doing pretty much the same thing, except with MG13 mags, and a terrible paint job, it was a gunbroker ad, I'll try and find it for you.

Found it. FAL/MAS 49/56 Frankenstein Rifle : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    I can`t tell what he did with the lower receiver.It almost looks as if he used acra-glas or dev-con or something to mold to the upper.Russ

Feedback Score

Bondo !!!

Hello Coils, Why not build an AR-10 clone from your MAS-49 action ??? The straight line stock goes well with optics.

VD

Feedback Score

The direct gas system is sensitive to overpressure. The problem with using 308 in it is the gas system has enough pressure to start extraction while there is still too much pressure in the case / chamber. The expanded case still has too much tension against the chamber walls for proper extraction. If making a new barrel maybe 300 Savage would be a good choice. At least it's slightly more popular than 7.5 French. The Hakim is designed to use heavy ball 8mm ammunition of a certain type.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up GAS system

Quote Originally Posted by allesennogwat View Post
    The direct gas system is sensitive to overpressure. The problem with using 308 in it is the gas system has enough pressure to start extraction while there is still too much pressure in the case / chamber. The expanded case still has too much tension against the chamber walls for proper extraction. If making a new barrel maybe 300 Savage would be a good choice. At least it's slightly more popular than 7.5 French. The Hakim is designed to use heavy ball 8mm ammunition of a certain type.
    I built a .308 FAL and have not had any problems with the extraction. I know that they are 2 different systems but there are commercial centre-fire rifles that use a gas extraction system. The woodsmaster comes to mind, which would be a great weapon except for the alloy receiver that gets buggered-up during the bolt cycle. NCredleg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.