Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosin pistol in 54R

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Beyond a reasonable doubt? Remember, this is a Federal court, where the judge and prosecutor have a long track record of restricting defense testimony, motions and evidence to tilt the scales in favor of the prosecution. And where your opponents have hands that reach into every citizen's pocket to fund their work.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    Beyond a reasonable doubt? Remember, this is a Federal court, where the judge and prosecutor have a long track record of restricting defense testimony, motions and evidence to tilt the scales in favor of the prosecution. And where your opponents have hands that reach into every citizen's pocket to fund their work.
    True, to say that the odds have been stacked against you from the get go, well, that's an understatement.

Mark

Feedback Score

lets put this one to rest.
    http://www.gunco.net/forums/f151/pistol-7-62x54r-47997/
    my idea was to get a reciver stub/ barrel and make a pistol out of it for hunting. there is one in the US but he used the SBR rought. and yes the Russians did make a pistol version during WW2 for "da trench". I'm still thinking of making one but it is not even close to the stove or the back burnner. muttman

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
    How strong would your proposed case be that an arbitrary receiver was never assembled as a rifle? A Federal prosecutor's wet dream.
    All imported Mosins theoretically have their serial numbers recorded as part of the import process. I'd lay a reasonable bet they were all recorded as "rifles".

"Asps! Very dangerous! You go first..."

If you could "destroy" a Mosin receiver while keeping the first two inches or so of receiver intact, you could tube the rest, no different than a reweld on an AK receiver. Most of the non-tube shape of the back half is there to accomodate the stock, and you don't want that anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    All imported Mosins theoretically have their serial numbers recorded as part of the import process. I'd lay a reasonable bet they were all recorded as "rifles".
    Yes, but there were two domestic producers of Mosin Nagants, Westinghouse and Remington. Most of those were exported.

And if I were gonna go first, I would just build a receiver from scratch. It's far less likely to get scrutinized. Although I am sure that it would get some second looks... Here in MD there are ranges that won't even let you fire such a weapon at their range.

Mark

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

in my mind the answer is simple take a reciver and demill it by cutting it in half document its been demilled/destroyed take it to the sherrifs station and have them document if you feel you need. weld the JUNK parts back together same as you do a any other demilled kit. remove the stock attachment features before hand and you know have a virgin pistol reciver. There were some of bare recivers with barrels on gun broker a few weeks ago cheap If i had two cents to spend Id have bought some and built one.

I can not find any puplished demilling requirements for demilling/ destroying a fire arm that is not a machine gun or other imported surplus weapon. a mosin is no differant than a remington 700, mauser or other bolt action. they detroy them in all number of ways from dumping them into the ocean, runnning them through metal shreaders, cutting them with torches, saws etc. If some one has guide lines for destroying a normal non full auto Im all ears but I spent a day looking awhile back. When I proposed doing a mosin or mauser reweld pistol. I also went throught this around 4 years ago with Sangrun hunnters Dad Old Sang.

there lots of barrels with the reciver stup attached that number I dont think is registerd any were in the USA unless they were cut up Here. take that stub and a the rear of even a regisered reciver and weld them together the numbers are not going to come up as any thing it will be obvious that the stub was welded onto a differant part. there was no legal way for a complete weapon to be legaly imported into this country recently with out being FFL,d if the numbers dont come up then it was obviously ore arguable sent here as a junk stub and no longer a rifle.

Personly if I were to go to all the trouble of doing this id take a mauser reciver still cheap in striped form and build on it more parts better parts worth more ect also more standard bolt face and more normal barrel threads way easier to do in a less powerfull more manageable round.

Wanting a home made bolt action pistol is what got me looking for virgin recivers 5 years ago and led me to AKs,. now with a sub one inch SA hunting AK I have no need for a bolt action pistol other than to just have one.

While at it if I were to weld a mauser reciver back togeter Id shorten it as well. I was thinking a super short action bolt gun even in a rifle made to shoot the 7.62x25 would be cool as hell. It can be done. I have been wondering if any of the 22MAG actions could handel a 7.62x25 round???? there the same length subject for a differant thread.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

mosin nagant pistol "obrez"?

Mosin Nagant rifle converted into a pistol | The Firearm Blog

Today’s Gun pRon | The Real Gun Guys

Odd Mosin Nagant pistol - Calguns.net

Taking this a little further you likely dont even need to remove the stock mounting features as other bolt action pistols and single shots pistols have them the thompson contender example will take a stock if one wanted to make it into a rifle with a 16" barrel

now if I were to send my junk stubs to a liscened manufacture (tubothis comes to mind and have them rewelded and serilaized would you not then have a legaly transferable and sellable non SBR pistol reciver?????? I see no differance in that than a rewelded milled kit built as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

ATF generally only requires demills of full auto firearms, most of the bolt actions can be legally imported so there is no need to cut them up and hence no specific procedure mandated for doing so. Their approved procedure, currently, for a demill is two diagonal torch cuts displacing at least 1/4 inch of metal to leave behind three receiver pieces. Specific guns have diagrams on where the cuts should be, attached to the import paperwork. In the past chopsaw cutting was allowed but they finally figured out the reweld was too easy and changed to torch cut.

If I wanted a bolt action pistol I would simply buy a barelled action new from Brownells in the caliber I wanted and chop it down to size. No legal issues and no reweld worries. More expensive than a DIY Mosin chop, but less headaches.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

well I dont know were this road will lead likely should have bought a complete rifle. the guy is about 20 miles from me Im hoping he will a me to pick it u and do the transfer at his shop. so I just bought this.

RUSSIAN MOSIN NAGANT M44 CARBINE PARTS C&R OK : Curios and Relics at GunBroker.com

If I cant do a legal cut pistol ( dont really need one any way) then i may try a super short action 7.62x25 or maybe a 9mm who knows.

A
    TF generally only requires demills of full auto firearms, most of the bolt actions can be legally imported so there is no need to cut them up and hence no specific procedure mandated for doing so. Their approved procedure, currently, for a demill is two diagonal torch cuts displacing at least 1/4 inch of metal to leave behind three receiver pieces. Specific guns have diagrams on where the cuts should be, attached to the import paperwork. In the past chopsaw cutting was allowed but they finally figured out the reweld was too easy and changed to torch cut.
    do you have any links to the digrams or info?? I have never seen anything on privatly owned fire arms that were not full auto? I believe you Im looking for the details so if i choose to do a pistol I can be certain I do it right as long as I can leave the lugs I can fix it especilay if i cut it even with a tourch.

I now need a bolt and a bunch of other parts but i have a non collectable reciver to cut if I want to.

Im thinking what a 22 saboted 7.62x54 round would be like???? hmmm 4300 FPS hunting pistol
    or possably bore out a cut off barrel and thread in a 243 rifle barrel I have a dozzen of those. there has to be a fun cheap way to make these $75 rifles more fun. a 7.62x25 is on the top of the list. just cut ut the middle and shrten up the blot some how. I still need to make a x25 to 54r addapter for meamber here now I have a chamber to work with. I havent forgot about the addapter LOL

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I'm waiting for the horror stories when you guys begin separating a Mosin barrel from its receiver. If you don't mind destroying the barrel, a relief cut just in front of the receiver will make it easier, but those barrels are on T-I-G-H-T, some of the tightest you'll ever find.

I've heard of receiver wrenches bolted to steel tables, bolted to the wall and 8 foot cheaters on the barrel wrench, and they STILL had a rough time twisting that barrel loose. Good luck!
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.