Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29

Thread: Mosin pistol in 54R

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You can't deliberatly cut up a rifle with the intent to reweld it into a pistol.They frown on that and it could be looked at as trying to evade the $200 tax.If you find the pieces and do it then you're ok.
    Last edited by dunn6902; 08-26-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

You can't deliberatly cut up a rifle with the intent to reweld it into a pistol.They frown on that
    HMMMMMMMMM

Got any proof of it?? we buy intentional cut up rifles made purposely to sold as kits to be rebuilt into lragal pistols an rifles every day. I dont see much differance. there cut up so they can be made into somehting else. guys demill home mades all the time to sell the parts an those can be made into rifles. I have a reweded Yugo that was once a rifle an now its a pistol.

I have seen nothing about not being able to destroy a rifle to make it into some thing else.

like I said take a legal to buy barrel with a stub an take a complete reciver cut it down an wled on the stub. if the numbers are checked on the stub section it will not come up as a registered gun. there is no legal reason you need to leavew the numvbers there for that matter.

guys occasinal will demill a ak rifle an re reciver it as a pistol. the old reciver can be destroyed an its not illeagle as far as I know.

If you got proof I cant cut up a rifle an do what i want with he scraps Im all ears an dont mind being wrong.

as far as sticking a back half of a rifle on a stub how would they ever be able to prove were the back half came from?????????

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The parts kits we buy are sold as parts.When they take the guns out of bond and cut them they become parts.No one tells the atf they are for rebuilding into guns.They usually just get cut because the 3 year time limit has expired.If you buy a gun on paper and cut it up just to rebuild it into a pistol you are deliberatly trying to avoid paying the $200 nfa tax to build a short barrelled rifle.You won't find a letter stating this because so far no one has been foolish enough to write one.One call to the atf would confirm this.That doesn't mean you couldn't do it and get away with it but I personally wouldn't take the chance.This could easily turn into an endless "what if " discussion so this will be my last comment on the legal end of it.I got an chance to build a legal,cheap, fun pistol and I took it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

One call to the atf would confirm this

REALLY THEY WONT EVEN ANSWER A LETTER IN MANY CASES. I HAVE HAD TWO SENT LTOI THEM ALMOST A YEAR NOW. WERE CAN YOU CALL THE ATF AN GET ANY KIND OF ACTUAL INFO. I TRIED WAS TOLD TO WRITE A LETTER.

ID BE CUTTING THE RIFLE UP TO MAKE IT NO LONGER A FIRE ARM PERTICULARLY NO LONGER A RIFLE. NOT TO CIRCUMVENT PAYING A TAX STAMP ON A SBR. A SBR WILL DO ME NO GOOD. FOR ME TO HUNT WITH IT IN THIS STATE IT HAS TO BE A PISTOL NOT A SBR.

I DONT KNOW WHAT WOULD BE FOOLISH ABOUT WRITTNG A LETTER ABOUT JUST THIS SUBJECT. THERE IS NO LAWS ON THE BOOKS AGAINST IT THAT I CAN FIND. NOR IS THERE ANY LAWS I CAN FIND ON GUIDE LINES TO DEMILL A BOLT ACTION RIFLE. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL ALL THE TORCH CUT THIS AN THAT APPIES TO SPECIFIC MACHINE GUNS.

UN LESS YOU HAVE PROOF THAT ITS ILLEAGLE HOW CAN YOU SAY IT IS OR SAY THE ATF DOSENT LIKE THIS OR THAT. IM NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS INTO A PISSING MATCH BUT IF THERE ARE NO LAWS AGAINST IT THEN ITS NOT ILLEAGLE.

I WANT A BOLT ACTION PISTOL HOW DO i GET THE PARTS TO MAKE WHAT I WANT??? I HAVE THE OPTION OF CUTTING APART A RECIVER OF A BOLT ACTION TO DO IT. I SEE NO LAWS ON CUTTING UP MY BOLT ACTION TO MAKE IT INTO PARTS. i SEE IT NO DIFFERANT THAN CUTTING UP A AK LEGALY AN THEN RERECIVERING IT AS A PISTOL.

THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU CANT DO THIS ON THE NET BUT VERY FEW OF THOSE GUYS EVER HAVE PROOF IN WRITTING EITHER BY THE WRITTEN LAWS OR BY A DETERMINATION LETTER.

YOU MAY BE 100% CORRECT BUT IT NEEDS TO BE PROVEN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. SAYING THE ATF DOINT LIKE IT DOSENT CUT IT IMO.

SAW CUTTING A RECIVER IN HALF TO REMOVE IT FROM THE BOOK SO YOU CAN SELL THE BARREL WITH A STUB ON IT IS NOT A LOT DIFFERANT .. ONE COULD ARGUE YOUR DESTRYING A RIFLE SO YOU CAN SELL IT AS PARTS AN AVOID HAVINT TO TRANSFER IT TO DO SO. EVEN IN THE ADDS THEY GIVE YOU A OPTION OF BUYING CUT OR UN CUT.

I SEE NO DIFFERANCE IN BUYING A PURPOSLY CUT UP RECIVER TO BE SOLD AS PARTS VS CUTTING UP ONE I OWN. I HAVE THE SAME INTENT (IF I WERE TO ACTUALY DO THIS) THAT IS TO TAKE WHAT WAS ONCE RIFLE PARTS BUT NO LONGER AN MAKE IT INTO A PISTOL. WHAT DIFFERANCE DOES IT MAKE IF I DO THE DEMILLING OR THE GUYS CUTTING THEM UP AN SELLING THEM FOR A PROFIT????????? THE INTENT IS THE SAME. EITHER WAY A RECIVER HAS TO BE DESTROYED. THE LEGAL DEFFINITION OF DESTROYED AN WHAT IS LEGALY ACCEPTABLE WOULD BE MY CONCERN.

I CANT FIND ANY RULES ON DEMILLING A MOSIN CAN YOU???

AGAIN IM NOT TRYING TO BE ARGUMENTIVE IM TRYING TO DISCUSS HOW OR WHY IT CAN OR CANT BE DONE. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR RULES ON LEGALY DESTRYING A BOLT ACTION. CAN IT BE SAW CUT ??? HOW MANY PIECES??? ETC I DO KNOW THERE ARE SAW CUT RECIVER STUBS ON BARRELS SOLD LEGALY ( PRESUMABLY) . HOW IS DETERMINED THAT THESE ARE TRUELY DEMILLED. WHAT MAKES YOU SURE YOUR STUBS WERE LEGALY DEMILLED AN ARE STILL NOT CONSIDERED A RIFLE?????

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Like I said before,I'm done with the legal end of it.If you don't believe me feel free to call,write or whatever to the atf.For that matter you could contact any manufacturer,class 2 or otherwise.

I know the rifles were demilled properly because I talked to the guy who cut them and he told me why and how the procedure went.An ffl is the only one who even has a book to take them off of.When a firearm is destroyed they show proof to the atf and a note is made in their book.

The barells with stubs on them are demilled because half the reciever is gone.I'm out of this conversation.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I had a issue where I had some guns stolden last year. One was a Marlin 22 mag bolt action and just the end of a barrel was bent and I wanted to make it into a 12" silloette pistol, so I called to clarify it with ATF and if it could be leagally done and they said "no it could not" with out the sbr stamp.

I know this dosen't clarify anything as far as,,, if the action is cut, but that's whats up with just cutting a barrel if the gun has been reported as "destroyed", accourding to the ATF agent I spoke with. Which this one was for all practical pourposes. Stock broken and barrel bent,,,, not worth reparing a $250 list price gun with that much wrong with it or paying the 200 tax for a sbr, kind of a waste if you ask me sense they offer bolt action pistols off the rack almost identical to what I wanted to make,,,, I don't get it??? Oh well.

It will just sit in the corner till I figure out what to do with it for now, and I haven't checked the price of a new barrel yet, but probibly more than I'd want to spent to fix it I'll bet .

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.