I have several projects awaiting my attention, unfortunately my spare time is in the -0 area right now.
my to do list:
possibly another ak54R as an SBR
Some of you have probably noticed I have a bunch of build threads going in various places, ranging from a simple rechamber-and-finish job to scratchbuilding an entire rifle. Doubtless you've noticed that with so many projects (closing on a dozen) to take up time, progress staggers along as first one, then another, gets available time and discretionary funding. This is hobby stuff; the fun is in the build, and I'm not in any great hurry to finish them. That's when they move from "fun project" to "safe queen".
I reined things in some months ago. No new projects will be started, at least until something else gets finished.
There are still a lot of things I would like to build. Some of them are definite, just waiting for a spot on the list. Some are "maybes".
For your amusement: The Project Wish List!
1) a PSL "sporting rifle", with a Saiga stock and forend, rear-set trigger, and a 5-round magazine.
2) AK-54R. I'd seen a couple of shortened PSL builds and liked them, even before wossname coined the "AK-54R" monicker. Which is a fine name, as far as I'm concerned. I'd use one of the big Lahti-Saloranta magazines.
3) standard-length AK in .30-06. We discussed this at length in the conversion forum. Once I was satisfied it could be done (and I found out Saiga had actually done it!) I let the topic rest, but I'd like to do one for myself.
4) stamped Valmet clone, of as early a type as would be faithful. I think Valmets are way cool. Many of the odd Valmet bits required are available, though at inflated prices.
5) .22 LR AK. Use a Romanian kit, Green Mountain .22LR barrel, one of the .22 trainer magazines, and scratchbuild the bolt and trunnion. East German bits are available for this, but they cost more than I'm willing to pay.
6) something on one of the full-length Molot Super Vepr wood stocks. Step 1: find a full-length stock. You'd think they'd be common enough, considering how many Veprs are converted to military style furniture, but I haven't found a stock yet.
7) Scale up one of the AR-15 screw-together lowers to AR-10 size, then stretch it a little more to take .30-06, and make a .30-06 AR-10. I've found prints for most of the AR-10 bits, and I can do the bolt and barrel extension with the tools I already have.
8) MG-47. Proof of how "the internet" can make people crazy, one person dreamed this demented thing up, and managed to pass the mania along. Not that there's anything wrong with a belt-fed AK-47, right?
9) FN P-90 workalike, straight blowback, using an airsoft shell.
10) Mosin-Nagant bullpup, similar to the Russian OTS-48K.
11) SKS in .50 Beowulf. Why let my Beowulf reamer go to waste?
12) BAR. Probably not a faithful copy of the original 1918 BAR, but something taking cues from the many, many variants produced over the years.
13) double rifle. Those break-open actions are way more complex than they look, so I'm thinking about doing it as a smokeless muzzle loader, which gets around most of the machining. No idea what caliber yet. The Voices say I could make a reamer to cut a .338 Lapua shaped combustion chamber...
14) falling block rifle. I finally learned how to do the rectangular hole for the block with the equipment I have. There are a lot of builds that use a side plate to cover a milled slot, but a one piece receiver would be nicer. Possibly in .45-70.
15) scaled-up Mosin action. The Mosin's vertical bolt makes a Mosin receiver *much* easier to build than a Mauser, which requires broaches, a shaper, or EDM to do the raceways. But the Mosin was designed specifically for the 54R, and there's not much room for a different - or larger - cartridge. I'd like to scale it up to take any of the newer long, fat Magnums.
16) bolt action shotgun. No idea yet on what type of breech lock I would use. I had a Stevens 12ga bolt years ago, magazine fed, and loved the way it felt and shot. But I got paranoid about something that used the bolt handle as the locking lug, and swapped it off.
17) 9mm bullpup with Calico helical magazine. This one has actually been started, but moved to the "inactive" list while I work on some of the other stuff.
18) AR-15 from an 80% receiver, in "M16A1" configuration with 20" barrel, triangular handguard, and 20-round magazine
19) INSAS copy. I still haven't found enough pictures to suit me, but I'd like to make a lookalike of the Indian INSAS AK variant. I'd forego the FN-style trigger group and other internal bits and just go for the exterior look.
20) Vektor CR-21. The airsoft guys keep talking about a CR-21 kit. If one ever hits the market, I'll buy one, gut it, and wrap it around some Romanian bits.
21) if another ex-military bolt action rifle, or major components thereof, were to fall into my hands, I'd probably do something unlikely to it, just because I can.
Then there are the ancillary projects - the heat treat oven, the Rockwell tester, the Parkerizing tank, the cleaning tank, the stock duplicator, chamber reamers, bullet molds... and I'll need to build at least one more gun safe, and a nice rifle vise, and... and... at least this is all way cheaper than building and maintaining a racing car.
There aren't any pistols on the list. Not because I don't like pistols, but because they're much more complex to make than rifles. I'm still absorbing design and techniques, but at the moment I haven't seen anything (that I'd want) that I could do with my current skills and tools. I've seen people build 1911 receivers from scratch and from 80% frames, but though I like the 1911, I have no real interest in whittling one out on the mill.
Hardly a week goes by without the Voices going "Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! You could build that!" And then I have to take the cute fluffy little idea and ruthlessly strangle it before it grows...
"There's nothing wrong with my attention spa... ooh! Doughnuts!"
So... what evil lurks in the back of YOUR mind?
Wow that's one big list you have there and I just want to get my Ar finished so I can focus on the RPD and finish my norinco hunter conversion
I understand what you're talking about. I have the following in the works in various stages of completion:
1. A few more suomi KP31, some almost done, some not so much
2. a 9mm carbine to be named later, bolt done
3. a 9mm thompson look alike, receiver channel and bolt started
4. 17hmr ar15 upper, still looking for all the parts after the move
5. 9mm ar15 upper, waiting on parts... com'on big brown truck!
and I have these in the que:
1. kp44, still in the box!
2. MKII sten, cleaned up, but not happy with the conversion designs out there yet
3. a couple pps43, did a little work on bolts and worked on a fcg on paper
4. a few 80% ar15 lowers, still in the box!
I'm sure I'm forgetting some things and I could be here all day with my "wish list" The above lists change their priorty as I'm often distracted by something shiney.
I forgot a few other want-to-do projects:
22) a CETME. All standard.
23) a CETME, except in 7.65x53, and changed to gas operation instead of delayed blowback.
24) a lever-action AK. I have a bunch of sketches on this; you need a low pivot on the lever to get enough travel for the bolt carrier, and the linkage has to clear the axis pins, but it's doable. With Saiga furniture, you'd wind up with a levergun with a boxy receiver and a detachable magazine.
This one isn't so much about a lever-action AK, as simply building a levergun, period. The lever actions are way more complicated than meets the eye, and every design I've looked at would require custom-made cutters and other tooling. But all you need with an AK is some way to move the bolt carrier back and forth, instead of the weird breeching systems most of the OEM leverguns use. Kind of like the difference between a pump-action AK and a "real" pump gun with the complex tube magazine and shell lifter bits. Every time I look at the exploded view of my Mossberg 500 I get the willies. There are a *lot* of little parts in there...
and... and... and... the Voices are always coming up with ideas, but they're never any help in actually working on anything.
got to get in on this one as time lets me.
1) rpk, working on recever have 80% parts now.
2) fal - all the parts just need $ to get barrel parked.
3) .223 fal- orderd casr recevier, 40% parts in hand
4) x39 pistol 95% complete
5) .psl clone in .308 have parts but need/make uper/lower HG.
6) M/N pistol back burner, need barrel vice. ( hint TRX )
7) a maddy griffen in 45-70 eye balling plans
8) a black powder pistol using cutt off ak barrel, left over dinner(barrel) is better the second time.
1 AND ONLY 1: SOMETHING I CAN AMBUSH THE ENEMY AT 1000 YARDS USING ONLY A BIPOD.