Thread: 312 WIN MAGOSIN PISTOL CONCEPT ;)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Default 312 WIN MAGOSIN PISTOL CONCEPT ;)

HMMMMMM i've been thinking while waiting for the Superbowl & drinking some enginering fluid.

I take this $15 Mosin Nagant barreled stub with lugs intact that has a little Bit of erosion just barrely past the chamber and heavy pitting on the barrels exterior at about the 14" mark. I rechamber it with a 300 Win mag reamer with a .311 pilot and then cut the throat a little bigger also to get rid of the bad spot inside the barrel. I weld on a back half of $20 reciver to the stub thus making it a virgin reciver and legal to used in a pistol build. cut the barrel down to 12" or 14" and thread it for a AMD 65 or any other AK brake. add a pistol grip and go hunting. it could be single shot or load from a modifed box like the 450 Mosin. Im thinking the weight of the Mag and the extra ammo might tame it down some.

This would give me the worlds first .312 WINCHESTER MAGOSIN PISTOL FOR ABOUT $50 .

DOWN LOAD IT TO 300 WIN MAG STARTING LOADS WITH .311 BULLETS AND YOUR READY TO HUNT MOOSE WITH IT. OR LOAD IT WITH 120 GRAIN STUFF FOR VARMINT HUNTING. hell add some sabots an .223 bullets and you could likely get 4500 FPS LOL>

HMMM I need a 300 mag reamer and some time. this is completely doable especialy on a rifle but im not sure what you would gain with a down loaded 300 mag over a warmly loaded x54r??? . im looking at it to use the junk I have on hand into a hot little hunting pistol.

Feedback Score

I like it. It shouldn't be hard at all to make it feed from the mag. I wish I would've goten some of those barrels with the front receiver stubs attached. You'll enjoy magnum stuff with a short barrel and a brake, i've got a Savage that I rebarreled to 338 Edge with a 17.75" barrel and a brake. It's pretty spectacular.
    I've thought for years that a cut down 416 rigby case necked to .311 and loaded to sane working pressures would be cool, the rigby case head should match the x54. Only problem is the high cost of brass, for that matter the 338 Lapua brass casehead should fit as well, but that brass is expensive too.
    Get you some O1 drill rod and make a reamer, I've got the reamer specs here if you're interested.

Zeb

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A friend of mine has a Lone Eagle in .458 Win Mag. The recoil is... substantial. And the backblast from the ported barrel will blow your hat off and shake your glasses.

I had a fine time shooting most of a box of 350-grain loads through it, but the 500-grainers... it's kind of like you're able to punch right through a cinderblock wall, just like a cartoon superhero, and then you realize you need a trip to the emergency room. My wrist hurt for a week.

Based on that, I think a .300 or .311 would be all kinds of fun to shoot.

The Voices are urging you to build it!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

It would only be a 30 cal and it would definatly need brake of some sort.
    light bullets would help and so would down loading it. Guys shoot tompson pistols in magnum calibur all the time and there lighter than what this would be.

Id deffinatly have to rig up some sort of lead slead type rest for bench shooting and R&D.

It likely would not be any worse than a 7.62x54r or other 308win pistol if loaded on the light side. there are also reduvced rcoil 300 mag loads from the factory.

just need time and money.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

No, seriously, I think a .300 with a 10" or even 12" barrel would be just fine with factory loads. Only part of the powder will be burned when the bullet exits the barrel; the rest goes to make big muzzle blast.

Based on shooting that .458 I mentioned, I don't expect my 54R pistol to kick any harder than a .44 Magnum, if that.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have been putting a lot of thought into this and its going to happen. Im thinking of a single or two shot. Im also thinking of sort of lug in the front to hook over the edge of the shooting bench to handel the recoil for shooting targets. maybe a nylon strap from the front of the trigger guard to a solid post or something.

Im a little concerned with the additional 1/4" length of the 300 win mag but i think it can be done.

anyone but me ever notice a WSM case and a x54r are about the same length???? it wont help my damaged bore so its for another thread.

SO WHO HAS A 300 WIN MAG REAMER LAYING AROUND?? ILL LET YOU SHOT IT FIRST IF YOU LET ME BORROW THE REAMER. LOL

Im thinking a 14" barrel with a AMD 65 break threaded on. If I cant handel the recoil I can weld the break on and make it a rifle down the road. A 300 mag mosin with a 16 barrel would be cool and impractiable.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I still don't think you'll have any problems with recoil.

Here are some pictures of Bob's .458... they're low-resolution scans from 35mm prints. I'm going to have to re-scan a bunch of that stuff someday.

The ported barrel kept the muzzle from flipping up, but it would push you back a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Ive shoot a 300 mag rifle its not what I call fun. a 300 mag pistol will not be better. it will definatly need a brake. and if I want to be able to shoot accuratly I need to be able to shoot it comfortably or ill be flinching in no time and then its of no use as a hunting weapon for me. Im am going to build it just need the reamer. Money and time is tight right now.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Nah. I keep tellin' ya, it isn't a problem. For factory ammo, the powder is optimized for a barrel in the 24-26" range. Most of the powder turns into a big fireball in a 10" barrel. Same thing happens with my 10" 12-gauge "Mad Max" NFA pistol.

The day those pictures were taken we had a small arsenal there. Bob brought his .454 Casull and the .458 Elephant Gun. I brought the 12ga. Nobody liked the Casull; it was too light for that much cartridge and the muzzle flip was a hassle. The .458 kicked harder than the 12ga, but the Lone Eagle's pistol grip and the low barrel-to-grip distance made it a lot easier to hold onto than the 12ga. The near-horizontal grip on the shotgun lets it slide back in your hand when you shoot, and the trigger guard will draw blood after a few shots.

Everyone liked the Elephant Gun; the five of us went through four boxes of ammo.

Don't get me wrong - the .458's recoil is STOUT. But it wasn't a zit on the recoil you'd get from the same cartridge in a rifle. If I ever see anyone who can shoot a .458 rifle one-handed, I'm sure not going to shake hands with him...

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.