Thread: bolt action???

Feedback Score

Default bolt action???

i built a few ar's and am almost done w/ an ak. and will soon start a belt fed ak (just got some parts in).

but i was wondering, what is involved in building something bolt action? are there any builds here?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

From scratch (pieces of round stock), or from a commercially available receiver? There are plans for the various .50 BMG builds out there, most use a surplus M2 bbl. The main problem with a scratch build is proper heat treatment. With the rifle kits we use for AKs, ARs, etc. the critical locking parts are already manufactured and heat treated. Especially with the BMG round, get the heat treat wrong and your face or shoulder could be toast.

For smaller calibers most would just buy a commercial receiver or barelled action and go from there. With a bare receiver you can turn a bbl from a blank, or if a Mauser is the starting point they make "short chambered" complete bbls that screw in and only need the chamber deepened a bit to set headspace. All sorts of aftermarket triggers and stocks available. Except for custom reworking of the bolt handle and such, it is a buy parts and assemble build.

Feedback Score

i was thinking more like something in .308 and building the receiver. after i do my belt fed build, i was thinking my next step would be to progress on to a bolt action (but i have to make the receiver because i dont want to deal w/ paperwork, lonnnng complicated story).

i want something like a rem 700 but just didnt know what is involved in building something like that and havent really found anything online.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by leonpiper69 View Post
    i was thinking more like something in .308 and building the receiver. after i do my belt fed build, i was thinking my next step would be to progress on to a bolt action (but i have to make the receiver because i dont want to deal w/ paperwork, lonnnng complicated story).

i want something like a rem 700 but just didnt know what is involved in building something like that and havent really found anything online.

Two words:

A Lot.

Look closely at the Savage Model 10 Receiver. Also the method of attaching the barrel. This will be the easiest to accomplish. In terms of Heat Treating, Listen to the Kernel!!!! That is the most critical phase of achieving a reliable bolt gun.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

PTG sells remmy bolts complete or assemble what you want.
    Guys are making the receivers from 4140 or stainless and heat treating BEFORE final machining.

Check out this site and this thread.
    I guy is selling SS receiver "blanks" already bored and the lugways cut (the hard part)
    Making a Remington 700 Action? - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

You ain't going to save any money, but you can have fun.

Feedback Score

Hello leonpiper69,
    A possibility for building a bolt gun is restoring a deactivated 03A3 Springfield into .308. That has been done before.

One added item is re-building a dewat Mosin-Nagant from parts. That has been discussed here on gunco as the fellows were searching for a legal means to build pistols from Mosin-Nagant parts.

Neither of the above is a cheap answer but they are "paper-less".

VD

Feedback Score

the only reason i want to go paperless is im not in my home state so its a huge pain in the but to buy anyhting here in PA. my wife can (she's active duty). but then i have to have her involved (which means i need permission to spend money.........)

if i build it myself i figure it may still cost money but i can spend it over time here and there. thanks for the link juanni. im gonna check that out. i may not even try, but i have no idea how hard it is or what tools are invloved. i have been thinking about getting a mini mill. but i may need more than that.

Feedback Score

Here is another good link,
    You would need at a minimum a lathe and at least a drill mill. Don't think a mini mill would handle the loads required.
    Selfmade Mauser bolt action receiver

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.