Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to bring a Winchester 1906 back from the dead

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

yea this thing won't be winning any beauty contests, I managed to pull the firing pin out will need to be replaced it looks like it was dry fired too many times, but I had to drill out one screw even with heat it wouldn't budge and the slot just stripped out.

I also managed to lodge part of a cleaning rod in the barrel haha but I'm working it from the other end now I need to get a steel rod and pound it through the blockage

Feedback Score

You may want to drill a small hole through the barrel blockage using a small drill bit soldered into a steel rod or tube as an extension. Soaking with penetrating oil such as "Kroil" can help. Then drive the remains out.

VD

Feedback Score

I was wondering if you had any method or know of a method for filling in the small pockets that are still left on the surface of the receiver as seen below?

I have a barrel I'm going to reline and it has some deep cuts and marks on it that I want to make go away.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Pitting is forever, all you can do is sand the surface of the metal enough to bring it all down to the level of the bottom of the pits. At which point ya ain't got much receiver left. An expert TIG welder might make it like new again, but it would be a labor of love and difficult as well as pricey.

If you're painting instead of blueing or browning, you could do like the autobody guys and use spot putty to smooth it out. Something thick would need to be applied, and no bake on finishes.

I would leave the surface as is and go for a nice brown patina. Especially if you reline and get it shooting well, it's the ultimate bet winner. "Why, I got an old rusty POS that I betcha could hit that there can over yonder".

My Dad had the older hex bbl model growing up, he lost the front sight early on but learned to just site down the corner of the hex and got pretty good with it.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the reply. I was in a gun shop one time and the gunsmith showed me a .38 snub nose pistol that had gotten some bad pitting -- not sure what caused it but he had it looking like knew. I don't know how he did it -- maybe just sanded it down and polished it -- I don't really know. I was hoping there was some little secret that I could use and have the barrel reblued. I'll be honest with you -- I think that rifle in the pictures is going to really look cool when finished -- a little bit of a rough look will add character to an old gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yea I'd agree with kernelkrink I'm not evern worried about finish at the moment all I did for the mean time is throw a quick application of perma blue to tue frame and oiled it I'm still researching my options on a barrel I'm about 50/50 on reline vs replace only time will tell

Feedback Score

Hey, if you've got the obstruction out of the barrel you could build yourself a little electronic bore cleaner and see if it would clean up that way. There are several folks over on surplusrifleforum who have done this.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

reline it to a 17 mach 2 and them maske it a bet winner. LOL

I dont know if id spend the money on relining or not. Im sure your not to concerned or you would not be messing with it in the first place. I am really suprised you got it apart. i cant wait to see it done. Id leave it pitted and distressed but functional other wise no one will apreciate what you went through to fix it. Im impressed to say the least that you got this far.

Vis
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 22_boomer View Post
    I was wondering if you had any method or know of a method for filling in the small pockets that are still left on the surface of the receiver as seen below?

H1452 Lab-Metal, 12 oz. Net Weight
    AK-47 user and abuser since 1980.
    http://strzelecka.net

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I like the Kernels ideas on going for the old style patina look. For the one I did, my buddy wanted a new looking rifle with a modern rust resistant finish. His rifle, we'll do it his way. It wasn't as pitted as yours and was in shootable condition except you had to manually extract the empty case. Anyway, we used Durafill, steelwool and a second coat of Durafill, then Duracoated it w/ Matte Black. It looks good and will never rust again.
    If I had to improvise, I think auto body guide coat or a high quality primer would have done the same thing. Maybe even glazing putty. Duracoat is private labeled car paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.