Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trying to bring a Winchester 1906 back from the dead

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Trying to bring a Winchester 1906 back from the dead

I was at a local antique shop and tucked away in a corner was a few barreled actions they were not in the best shape at all I picked up this little Winchester 1906 this thing was rusted shut And barrel plugged 

got a good amount of the frame cleaned of the "protective rust" (how many of you remember that one lol) and let it soak in oil for a while got the rear Tangs straightened out and the hammer to move

At this point I let the receiver sit in a bag filled with penetrating oil for about a month

I got the receiver and trigger guard separated a few weeks in penetrating oil and a few taps of the hammer did the trick Here's a pic if my progress After a little cleaning up 

I was able to get the slide and bolt to move with a punch and hammer 

I eventually got the bolt pulled I had to drill the screw that held the side plate off but it shouldn't be hard to make a new one 

Now the real work begins trying to unplug the barrel i have no clue what's up with this thing I put an old cleaning rod on a drill spun it for a bit tipped the barrel to the ground and wood and rust dust fell out 

I got it a little more taken apart I'm able to work the action by hand now

I think this will he a long term project and try to get it up and running again most likely everything except for the receiver will be replaced 

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feedback Score

Damn, now that is a project.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Yes it is, I'm actually surprised I've gotten this far with it all And all i have suffered is a broken trigger I'm gonna try to salvage the bolt body and carrier I'll have to drill out atleast one more buggered up screw from decades past

This is a fun project that's for sure I need to find some super cheap rough wood for this thing lol I may try to reline the barrel if possible and see if I can have the ultimate functional wall hanger lol only time will tell I'm in no rush gotta let the penetrating oil do it's job

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

that is quite the project!

Feedback Score

Looks like a fun and challenging project. If you can do all the resto work yourself it could make a cool wall hanger. Check Numrich GPC for parts for Winchester Model 62 "Gallery Gun". Factory seconds could be adapted too.

VD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks Fpr the info on the gallery gun I looked into it and it seems the 90/06/62 are practically the same rifle

I'm also gonna search GB for used parts to pop up as well

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I found some parts here.
    winchester 1906 | eBay

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thanks for the link tanvil I diddnt think about checking eBay I know where I'm gonna get furniture for this thing now,

I found a trigger guard on numrich and a few on GB I'm gonna try to repair the lower tang on this one first though and I gotta see if the trigger spring screw is gonna cause problems when I try to remove it but I can always drill and re tap it first I already have to retap the side palte screw hole anyways

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I reworked one of these recently. At the time Numerich had nothing at all for it. The guy on ebay treated me right. The extractor is brass, chances are, you need one. The slide was also kinda tricky to disassemble. I'll post some pics if I still have them.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

WOW I'm surprised you got it apart & moving, that thing was nasty looking, well still is but better then it was
    I'll be interesting in watching this to see how it goes.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.