Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: spare Mosin butchery suggestions solicited

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

WELL IF YOUR STUCK ON THE ORIGINAL CALIBUR THEN EVERY THING IS GOING TO BE MAINLY COSMETIC. ID THINK ABPOUT A WELDED BRIDGE, JEWLED BOLT, NICE WOOD, CUSTOM OPTICS RAIL, A SHOW CASE OF YOUR TALLENTS.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

WELL IF YOUR STUCK ON THE ORIGINAL CALIBUR THEN EVERY THING IS GOING TO BE MAINLY COSMETIC
    Maybe not, but if he's going to go with the original caliber he needs to shoot it first, if it's fairly accurate with off the shelf ammo it should be a great shooter with hand loads.
    I do agree with what your saying Biggun, it's like counting your chickens before they hatch type thing.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The barrel appears to be straight, shiny, and crisp. Unless there's some major problem not immediately apparent, it should shoot fine. If not, I have a Mosin receiver wrench abd barrel bushings, and used barrels are cheap. I gave my only spare over to my wife's Degtyarev, but they're not hard to find.

Unless someone suggests something amazing, I'm quite happy with the 54R.

The Voices have muttered "trunk gun", but out of six vehicles, they're three hatchbacks, a station wagon, a pickup, and a van. I think the last time I had a vehicle with a trunk was in 2003...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I'm quite happy with the 54R.
    The 54r is a good round, I was hinting about barrel quality because it would suck to go through all the work and the barrel wasn't there.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I have been thinking about a 6mm version for a while. But you said you wanted to keep the same barrel and calibur.

I am going to make one ( 7.62x54) into a 16" barrel brush gun with a good trigger and a sporting stock but its not going to be any thing special. likely wont shoot over 50 yards with it. I just want a good open sight fast handeling in the rain rifle and i have one with a good barrel that is badly pitted on the muzzel end on the pout side so cutting it is a good thing.

If i have to put much money into one of these Im going to start with a diffeant action entirely. the $150 extra you might spend initaly on a mauser or other action will be small change int he end if you spend much on all of it,.

Feedback Score

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I wound up giving one of the Mosin actions to a friend. For the other, I bought a "pepper" laminate stock from Boyd's. I'm going to pillar bed it since a full glass bed would be a hassle with the magazine interruptor blade on the left side.

I'll have a nice conventionally-stocked carbine in 54R. I plan to shoot it that way for a while before making any further modifications.

Yes, the sidefolder bayonet clears the stock...

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

$50 + shipping - prime M44 carbine, no wood
    $108 Boyd's "Prairie Hunter" pepper laminate stock
    $109 Rock Solid scope mount
    $30 NCStar 6x fixed power scope, 32mm objective
    $9 cheap scope rings

I wanted a fixed four power scope, but it turns out those are unusual and expensive nowadays. The NCStar six power was on sale for $30, was supposed to handle .308 class rifles, and came with a lifetime warranty. For $30, I'll give it a try.

The scope rings turned out to be cheap made-in-China cast aluminum, with grotty sheet metal clamps and oversized bores. They'll be useful for finding what height of scope ring I really need, and if I need an offset to set the eye relief on the scope to where I want it, but they're total junk. "FM" brand, if anyone else is tempted. I'll have to buy some real scope rings later.

My wife is insistent that I leave the sidefolding bayonet on it... I guess if I miss a target five times, I can run up to it screaming, attempt to bayonet it, and likely fine up doing a face-plant into the ground...
    Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

we got to get rid of these spam-bots!

Feedback Score

TRX, where did you find a rifle with no wood?
    Hunter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.