Thread: cetme problems

Feedback Score

Default cetme problems

after building numerous aks and a 1919 and a few ar-15s, i did something stupid and bought a cai cetme new from a gun shop that just wanted it gone. never shot it till today, and gun went bang 1 time and quit. seems the round isnt seating in the bolt head all the way when the bolt closes, when the roller block moves back the round isnt seated completely under the extracker and rather then get ejected, it falls on top of the magazine. if i put a test round on the bolt, and let it close, when i pull the cocking lever back it ejects fine. i've taken the bolt apart and cleaned it, but same results. when i check the bolt to roller block clearance, its less than .003. i believe the tolerance is .003 to .020. i've found no info for the head to block clearance to tight. cai was no help with its out of warranty sorry. i'm pretty sure its a bolt issue, the primers are struck to light to fire. any help from anyone with hk or cetme experiance will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    steve

Feedback Score

Bolt gap tolerance is .004~.020" with the bolt fully closed with the hammer resting on the back of the bolt (dry fired).

There are a number of things that need to be checked to properly diagnose the problem. Century sold a lot of these rifles with the back of the bolt head ground short in order to give a completely false bolt gap and yours could actually be coming to rest on the cocking handle rather than the back of the barrel, with a true bolt gap of zero.

Rather than going through the long list of items that you need to check I would point you to the militaryfirearm.com site as all of the information, photos, and online help is already in place for curing the ills of these rifles. We get about one a week similar to yours. Sometimes it's an easy fix, sometimes not. Militaryfirearm is an offshoot of the old cetmerifles forum.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score

thanks holes creek and gunnysmith, i dug into it alot deeper this morning. the bolt length is good at 1.834. the head clearance was acceptable at .007, the cocking clearance was about .020. it appears i have either a bad extractor and or spring. when the bolt moves forward it strips the round from the mag. but when i manually pull the cocking handle back, the round is not seated under, the extractor. which means the round is not seated flush against the bolt head, which explains, the fail to fire due to light primer hits. next question is, do i need to order a roller block and head assembly or a extracter and spring, or a hole bolt assembly and have spare parts. its still shame on me for dealing with century, i know better. this forum is great.

thanks again

steve

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Go to the range, drop a round in the chamber, let the bolt slam forward.
    see if it chambers correctly.
    Some mag latches were setting the mag too high causing drag on the carrier.
    adjust the latch by filing it down if that is the case.
    The rule of thumb is to fit the gun for common use magazines, do not fit the mag to the rifle.
    I bought six of them and one had that problem, it was easily fixed.
    Those were the days, $275.00 each shipped with five mags each.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.