Thread: need advice??

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default need advice??

I know some of you guys have the done sbr riga-ma-roll before and maybe you can answer a question for me. I got a 22mag marlin bolt action that was vandilized/smashed, and the end of the barrel is tweeked bad. But just the last 5-6 inchs I think it would make a good canidate for a target pistol similar to a Ruger charger pistol, but bolt action. Don't fall off the chair on me now, I know this is a no no with out the paperwork in hand first, this gun has already been reported stolen/recovered and damaged beond normal repair to BATF, so we're cool there. Anyways it just seems that there should be a way to do this under the statues thay have, is this what the "SBR" clasification is used for?? I honestly don't know but some of you that have done the SBR thing might have a better idea on this. It just seems a shame to let this gun go to waste the way it is. Money wise, I don't really think it's all that cost effective to rebuild at all, original or pistol configuration by cutting down or if I can even get a new barrel for it to start with to put it back to normal. I have no idea what the cost of the SBR thing would be. I just think something like that in 22mag would be the cats ass for chucks, kinda like scaled a down Weatherby or Remington pistols that are already out there on the market, no real difference, except in the eyes of the law, sure don't wan't to fuck up there, Any advice would be great!!! I have NO IDEA, SBR, NFA, any classification?????? No clue. Maybe just scrap metal??? Help!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It would be classed as an SBR, the problem is the $200 tax ya gotta pay. You file a form 1 and related paperwork, get the LE signoff, pay $200, and months later get approval to hacksaw.

A new bbl is gonna be a lot less. Another option is to cut off the bad portion of bbl and weld or silver solder on a tube or muzzle device to get it back over 16" again. Technicaly, you would need to pull the bbl before cutting to be legal, or get a gunsmith to do it for ya.

BTW, why would ATF know it was stolen/recovered/beyond repair? The only gun thefts required to report to them are NFA items, an old .22 boltgun would be so far below their normal radar......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Had to do it as part of the report with the Vt State Police when reporting the theft and as required by having a C+R and by having that gun in my book. Or at least that how I interped the statute at BATF when I read it. At any rate they took the info and gave me a file # so my ass is covered at any rate, better safe than sorry I guess. It was one of my guns recorded in my FFL book even though its not a C+R gun, all my guns are recorded that way. Like I always say go 2 steps beond what may be required and you won't get in any trouble. Hell I've got nothing to hide and I've always gone out of the way to make sure I do stuff above and beond just so that way I don't have to play games later. I thought that's was the case with the SBR thing. I'll probibly just pull the damaged barrel, it's just pinned in, and see if I can get a heavy replacement barrel from Marlin for it or send it in for one if not to costly . The guns only 5-6 years old and was a dandy shooter, but it's surely not worth spending 200 bucks to make it a SBR, or to be put on the radar by making it one. Just thought it would be a good use for it as a plinker, I'd bet it would be a good shooter too, but certainally not worth the money or efforts to do so. I could put a extension on it, but it's stainless and would have to press on the extension and spot weld it in place, not really worth it to me. Thanks for the info kernel, I kinda thought this was the case but didn't know for sure and thought it better to ask you guys that have been down that road before. I'll see what it'll cost for a new barrel and go that root, and if it's to much it will just end up as scrap metal. It's crazy though that you'd have to go through all that when several manufactures make them in the same type configuration and you don't need any special license for them??? I just don't get it. I saw a neat little 22 Cricket bolt action pistol at one of the local shops that I thought was pretty neat and it was 169 or something like that. That would be the better way to go. I just wish they were 22mag instead of just 22LR. and had a clip instead of single shot It sure would make it more versitile. Have any of you folks tried one of them, I was wondering how they shot. They do have fiber optic sights and I don't like that very much, if you were shooting at something small it would be covered by the front sight post pretty easy. The only place I like the fiber optic sights is on a shotgun, nothing else. Every other thing I've had them on, they were pulled and replaced. I can't see shit around those big clunky things, and there not to good for fine shooting eaither. Thanks again for the info kernel, I knew one of you guys would know for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Oh, OK, FFLs have to report thefts of course. The acquisition and disposition book is only supposed to contain guns you acquired with your FFL, by going "further than the law requires" you may have raised some red flags at ATF by reporting a non-C&R gun in your book.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.