Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VZ58 in 5.45 x 39

Feedback Score

Default VZ58 in 5.45 x 39

Just wondering if anyone has done it? I searched the net and saw some posts where people mentioned it, but none where it has actually been done. With the VZ58's in 5.56 being available now, it seems like a conversion to 5.45 would be fairly easily accomplished with just a custom barrel swap. I'm sure the 5.56 mags could be modified for 5.45 with a follower swap. Or use one of the AR mag adapters and use the 5.45 AR mags. Does anyone have any additional input?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

first welcome to the site

time to make your bones in the building world, since its your idea carry the ball. all of the true builders here and WG got that way by just doing it then posting there experience, the rest of the folks here and on there a few other sites are copy cats time to be inovative

seems you have thought it through, you will need a vz58 223 bolt or convert a 7.62 bolt, then modify the bullet guide, if you can get vz58 223 mags well they should work with 5.45mm ( I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) and you will need the barrel, possible a 5.45 k-var barrel or after market USA made barrel
    Sprat and sprat1 are one and the same.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As with any other 5.56 to 5.45 discussion, I am fairly certain the issue is going to be magazines. Specifically the followers. If the 5.56 followers work with 5.45 then you're good. If not you'll have feed problems if the mags are loaded with more than about 5-8 rounds.

Everything else is as Sprat said... barrel, bolt, possibly extractor (but doubtful).
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NO 5.45,S

I HAVE DONE BARRELS FOR 6.5 GRENDEL.

AS OTHER STATED IF ITS BEEN DONE IN 223 IT CAN BE DONE IN 5.45 WITH THE MAGS BEING THE UNKNOWN.

I CANT REMEAMBER IF THERE IS ENOUGH MEAT ON A AK BARREL TO MAKE A VZ58 OUT OF ONE. IF SO THEN ITS A MATTER OF REPROFILING A 5.45 BARREL.

OTHER WISE YOU WILL NEED A CUSTOM BARREL. I DONT HAVE A 5.45 REAMER ON HAND BUT THEY LIKELY CAN BE RENTED FOR ABOUT $40. BLANKS ARE AVALIABLE.

IF THERE IS A 223 BOLT YOU CAN GET THEN IT CAN BE EASLY OPEND UP.

SEND ME A PM IF YOU DECIDE TO HAVE A BARREL TURNED I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO THE JOB.

IF THERE ARE EXISTING 223.S FOR SALE ID BUY ONE AN CONVERT IT.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ID BE LOOKING HARD AT ONE OF THESE IF YOU DO DECIDE TO BUILD FROM SCRATCH.

Czechpoint - Product - Spare parts and accessories - vz. 58 parts & accessories - vz.58 mag well adapter for USGI M16/AR-15 magazines

THE MAG WELL ADDAPTER WOULD BE MAKE IT EASY TO USE 5.45 AR MAGS IF THEY FIT OK.

I SEE THERE ARE SINGLE STACK X39 BOLTS ON THE SAME SITE. THE FACE IS WAY TO BIG BUT THEY LIKELY/MIGHT WILL CLEAR THE MAG OPENING .

GETTING A BOLT TO TAKE THE 5.45 CASE MIGHT BE A ISSUE . I DONT WELD ON BOLTS AN IM NO EXPERT AT ALL ON THE VZ. IM NOT SURE IF YOU CAN MOD THE BOLT TO EXTRACT 5.45.

SEEMS THERE WERE SOME 7.62X25 CONVERSIONS DONE AN THEY USE THE BOLT FACE DIA YOU MIGHTSEARCH THOSE OUT AN SEE WHAT GUYS DID.

IN ALL HONESTY UNLESS YOU GOT LOTS OF TIME AN MONEY YOU WPOULD BE BETTER OF JUST GETTING A SAIGA OR OTHER AK VARIANT IN 5.45. ITS JUST A LOT SIMPLER AN YOUR NOT REALLY GAINIG ANY THING WITH A VZ IMO.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

IM COMING UP EMPTY ON THE 7.62 X 25 CONVERSION.

I CHAMBERED A BARREL/ BLANK FOR A GUY WHO CLAIMED TO BE DOING A VZ 58 IN X25. HE WAS NOT A MEAMBER HERE. ILL SEE IF I CAN FIND HIS INFO IM NOT SURE I HAVE IT AS IT WAS ALL DONE BY EMAIL.

Feedback Score

I've built plenty of AK's from scratch with virgin barrels, flats, and parts kits. I've also built a VZ58 from a parts kit. I have numerous AK's in 5.45 and 7.62. To be honest, in 7.62 I prefer the VZ58 over an AK. Here's a very unconventional AK74 I built and posted over on AKforum The AK Forum L.L.C. - View topic - Practical Franken 74

I definitely plan on doing this build. I don't have a metal lathe yet, don't have room, but definitely plan to have one down the road. Using a 5.45 AK barrel doesn't seem practical. The trunnion journal on a VZ58 is smaller than any AK74, but it is much longer. The barrel component journals are also all in different places and different diameters. I think the most practical idea is to start with a 5.45 barrel blank.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

sounds like you got down what you need to do , seems from your post at AK forum you have assembled a few kits before

bending flats and using a ffl milled receiver to assemble a VZ58 is not building from scratch its assembling minor detail

Feedback Score

Sorry, noticed that after I posted and should have edited it. Building from a parts kit and a flat is not "from scratch." Someday I plan to be where I can start a build with a few pieces of steel and aluminum, but that's still down the road a little way. For now I'm still paying other people to do the majority of the machining work, and I'm just fitting and assembling the parts. I just mentioned my other AK builds so ya'll could get a basis for my experience level. I'll keep ya'll posted as I go, and I might get with 1biggun for the barrel work.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

nathan

again thanks for the heads up on the wieger handguard retainer,

starting from scratch is not difficult, see all these flats and bent metals and reciever shells are sold to made it easy or cu a few corners heck i have done same and i am about to do the same again. see I have done it from scracth and its not difficult i am just getting lazy and old
    flat 1040 steel from aircraft spruce and a metal brake( I ordered one) in 1995, after trying to use one for aluminum siding it did not work, I bent many as fast as one can call nodak spud even faster
    you don't need crows ( chicken) feet or dimples the are pretty and make your build look real ( which it will not be no matter how much one wishes it was

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.