Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: will different calibers fit same 1911 frame?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Ah hell. Just put it together like we do and bring it down too the "Swamp Tech. Test Dept."
    Damn thing blows up, I know some guys near here have a small company making 1911 frames.
    Nice guys, we can get all we want..
    Your due for a visit anyway.. Bring a helmet and safety glasses.
    Bring my Bro Hunter. Kids like fireworks.
    Sounds like fun just don't have one of the kids hold your beer as you tell me that I won't need hearing protection when I shoot it, it won't be loud.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

For some reason I've always been fascinated by the .38 Super, but I've never coughed up the money for the proper slide.

The .38/9mm frame theoretically has a different feed ramp shape, but there's such a wide variation among manufacturers it's lost in the noise.

.38/9mm use a different ejector. They're cheap and many different configurations are available to play with.

The magazines are different between the .38/9mm and .45; feed lip width, mostly. They're the same size in the main body.

The slides are different between the .38/9mm and .45. The width of the slot where the case head rides onto the breechface is narrower on the .38/9mm. Some people have had good luck using .45 slides with the small cartridges, but Colt felt it required a different slides. There may be a third breechface for the .40-based cartridges.

There were some other minor differences, like the smaller diameter firing pin used with the small cartridges, but a lot of .45s use that nowadays.

Major factory calibers are: .38 Colt, .38 Super, .38 Special, 9mm Parabellum, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, 10mm S&W, .45 ACP. Yes, rimmed .38 Special, with the bullets loaded flush with the case mouth like a Nagant. Colt sold them for target shooting several decades ago. .38 Colt is the base cartridge for Super, and pretty much obsolete.

Some aftermarket calibers are: .45 Super, .460 Rowland, 9x23 Dillon, .41 Avenger. The Super is just a high pressure .45, the Rowland is ballistically equivalent to a .44 Magnum (take THAT, Desert Eagle fanboys!), the 9x23 was designed around "high power" pistol shooting rules.

With a little "adjustment", 7.62 Tokarev can be made to work. Search "1911 Tokarev" to find Tok'11's threads on it.

1911-based pistols are made in .50 GI and .357 Magnum, but the frames are cast with larger grips to accomodate those cartridges. There are also some "double stack" .45 frames floating around; many internal bits needed to finish one of those are rare and expensive.

Several 0% builds and caliber conversions at the bottom of this page: 1911 Internet Thread Archive

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

ok dug a couple pix up for you... this is my RIA 1911 converted over to 7.62TOK..

its a blast to shoot and is actually very easy on both the gun and the shooter.

say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dutigaf View Post
    ok dug a couple pix up for you... this is my RIA 1911 converted over to 7.62TOK..

its a blast to shoot and is actually very easy on both the gun and the shooter.

thanks for sharing the pics. Looks nice.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

best thing is that you arent doing anything to the gun that you cant undo and just swap back out to 38super in a matter of minutes..

so you get a true multi cal 1911 that way. :-)

oh BTW: everybody knows my pictures suk! LMAO
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Looks like a interesting project...

Good luck with your choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.