Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SIG P228: CNC machining frame from billet

Feedback Score

Default SIG P228: CNC machining frame from billet

I have the P228 solid model almost 100% complete. I only have some minor features I still need to add. We were off work for Good Friday, so I spent all day Friday doing some Good Programming...haha. I got the 1st operation programmed, and it took me just about all day to program the 16 tools needed for the 1st operation. I now have the 1st operation complete and I hope to start the 2nd operation next weekend. Now that I have a website, I'll post my progress there, this way I can help to save space on this forums server, and post all the pics and stuff on my website www.cncgunsmithing.com If you have any questions or comments, you can still post them in this thread on this forum. Here is what the P228 looks like after the 1st operation....

Later,
    Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

Damn man, that's pretty sweet! How far along are you on this and when do you think you'll be taking her for a test run? Let us know!!!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Co7t
    Damn man, that's pretty sweet! How far along are you on this and when do you think you'll be taking her for a test run? Let us know!!!
    Well, so far I just have the 1st operation finished. I'm going to hopefully work on the 2nd operation this weekend. I'll post new progress pics here when I have them. I'm thinking it's going to be about 3-4 weeks before I'm ready to take her out for her first rounds

Later,
    Justin

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Okay, we are all completely awestruck by the AR-15 uppers and lower, AR-10, 1911, and P228! And I admit that I burned all the pics from your site to CD for safe keeping and for drooling purposes. It's just not fair for you to tease us with those wonderfully CNC'd creations of yours...

To make up for your cruelty, I would like to suggest that you consider a milled AK receiver for your next project. That should make a nice healthy pile of sharp steel chips! Maybe a complete Mauser 98 receiver and bolt for the project after that...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the P228 finished. I'm more of a 1911 fan, but the work on the Sig is beautiful so far!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino_66
    Okay, we are all completely awestruck by the AR-15 uppers and lower, AR-10, 1911, and P228! And I admit that I burned all the pics from your site to CD for safe keeping and for drooling purposes. It's just not fair for you to tease us with those wonderfully CNC'd creations of yours...

To make up for your cruelty, I would like to suggest that you consider a milled AK receiver for your next project. That should make a nice healthy pile of sharp steel chips! Maybe a complete Mauser 98 receiver and bolt for the project after that...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the P228 finished. I'm more of a 1911 fan, but the work on the Sig is beautiful so far!
    Rhino_66, don't forget about the AR-15 handles, AK-47 receiver and the STI frame....haha :P j/k You really burned my pics to a cd? WOW I never thought the work I done was important enough to burn to cd...haha But that's great though, it just shows me how much you guys really like these projects. I thought about the milled AK a while back. I know that will be a crap load of chips. I don't have a solid model of the AK milled receiver, so how close is the milled receiver to the bend receiver? Are there any other special cutouts because it's a milled receiver? I was thinking for my next project of maybe trying a Ruger 10/22 receiver. But I don't know yet, we'll just have to wait and see :P

I got the 2nd operation finished on the P228 frame this weekend. Check out my website for the new work progress. I put a few of the parts on the frame to see how everything fits. So far I don't see any problems The slide won't currently slide back any further since the top of the frame isn't machined yet. But it won't be long before I'm racking this slide for her first shots

Later,
    Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Any pics of setup jigs or clamping rigs are definite keepers. Your pics show enough detail to make setup easier for those of us without CNC equipment. Some of the descriptions I've found online for finishing 80% forgings are a little... lame. The pics you posted show what needs to be done and how to set up for it. I save pics of all the homebuilt tools I've seen here, on FALFiles, and all the other sites. I save pics of people's projects that have turned out REALLY well. I also save pics of stuff that turned out like crap. Those pics serve as a reminder to double check all measurements before putting saw to steel.

The stamped and milled AKs are basically identical. The milled receiver has a bump on the bottom where the triggerguard attaches. This replaces the selector stop plate, so you would need to add a stop somewhere. This pic shows the triggerguard bump and selector stop on a Bulgarian milled receiver:

For your milled AK model, you could just measure a trunnion and stock tang and lay them out in AutoCAD. If you're happy with your bent-blank receiver results, just measure off of that.

The lower rails would just be continuations of the slots in the trunnion. You could add a lug on each side of the interior surface to function like the magwell dimples do.

Feedback Score

Is that your milled receiver? If so, could you take some more pics of it at different angles so I can get a better idea of what it looks like? It looks like the front trunion is built into the receiver ??? And is the rear trunion built in too ???

All the projects I've done, I've had a physical receiver/frame to work off of and to make the solid models. If I done the milled AK receiver, I would need to get my hands on a milled receiver someplace. Do you know where I might find one?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I wish that receiver was mine! That's a pic from:

http://www.buymilitaria.com

I have a milled Bulgarian parts set that is screaming for a good receiver like that one.

The milled receiver is a single solid block. The stock tangs and triggerguard are riveted on, and the selector stop is a short pin that is pressed into the side with an interference fit. The milled receiver incorporates the trunnion and recoil spring retaining slots from the stock tang into a single unit.

Firing Line makes a U.S. manufactured milled receiver that is supposedly one of the best you can buy. This page has some pics of their receiver:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/page2.html

Ak-47.net has a pic showing the differences between the milled and stamped receivers.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/receiver2.html

I figured you could just use a completed stamped receiver for all the measurements. Ignore the fact that it's several pieces, then just measure and plot it all out as one piece in AutoCAD. Make the side walls a little thicker than the stamped version. The buttstocks are different for the milled version, but you could easily make the CNC machined version for use with a stamped furniture set. Just cut the back end like the stamped stock tang.

Feedback Score

Default p228 parts

That frame is a beauty!!! Good luck with it. It looks like you have the Dlask p228 parts kit.If you do,dont bother with the trigger bar and the hammer.They slip off each other.You can get both parts from Numrich Gun Parts. The rest of the Dlask parts work fine.

Feedback Score

Rhino_66: Ok, I'll be giving the milled AK some thought. Machining the milled AK should be easier than some of the other projects that I've done...haha

Merkava: Yeah, I've got a Dlask parts kit that I'm hoping to use. I know they aren't the best quality parts, but maybe they'll work I've heard about the hammer having problems, so I may have to buy a few backup parts from Numrich or somebody. Well see what happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.