Thread: AR15. Buy or build?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Question AR15. Buy or build?

Figured out a way to get the money for and AR soon.

Should I buy or build it will be the question. If I buy it will be a Bushy and building one I still have questions.

http://www.model1sales.com/ has the kits starting around $400 and a stripped receiver can be gotten between $80-$200 for most.

What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the kits come with the small parts needed for the receiver.

A Bushy will cost me $700 new

A build from what I've been told will be $550, but then again I don't know what all that includes.

Help?
    Last edited by Sangrun Hunter; 04-16-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Master Endmill Breaker Rhino_66's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I'm looking at building an AR from Model1 too, but I was thinking about milling one of the DSA 0% forged lower blanks. I might just buy a stripped lower instead and be done with it. It'd be a helluva lot easier.

Model1 description says "All kits are complete - less stripped lower receiver" under all the variant types. In the detailed description it says the lower parts set is included. The detailed description say it includes everything but the actual receiver. The upper is assembled and headspaced, so all you would have to do is put the parts in/on the lower and you're finished.

The kits start at $415.00 (I think that was the cheapest) and up depending on options and kit type. Add the $80 to $150 for a stripped lower (+FFL fee and shipping) and that's your cost. I think $550 is a pretty good estimate for building one from these parts kits.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Eventually I will be doing a build myself. I have a Colt HBAR, but it is boring. After the my fal kits are built and the 74s, I want to start on an AR. Its hard to get away from Bushmaster or DPMS. I think they do a good job. I will be looking at that composit receiver I seen in Shotgun News. I would like to see one up close, but have not had much luck. Now that the ban is going to sunset, the choices are wide open. I guess from a purely legal aspect I may purchase some recieves after the sunset just in case those ass holes attempt the same thing again (real good chance if Kerry wins). Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Thanks Rhino!

I see that Model 1 has a lower complete for $227 with buut stock I think? That and and and upper for $250 to $350 might not be bad either.

Building and AR is easy though and assembling the parts doesn't concern me much.

Jack,

I was thinking along the same if Kerry were to win also. I suddenly feel the need to get a FAL and AR in the next year.

Feedback Score

I would wait until the ban is over and buy a post ban after build that has all the evil features on it and it will be factory build and have a waranty.

Bushmaster, say it with me Bushmaster.
    My wife thinks I have too many guns.
    U.S. Army Reserves 1990-1996
    M1A/M14 and AK47s rule

Feedback Score

Sangrun

The only thing to a AR build is assembling.. If you can build a AK you can definately pu a AR together..

All the parts are finished, no drilling, riveting, fileing hammering.. Just a little cussing...

The hardest thing, and they are not that hard, is installing the front take down dentent.. Make a simple tool for this, and it's no big deal..

And installing the bolt relese lever retaining pin, without scratching the receiver.. This can be accomplished by just takeing your time...

Save your self a lot of work, by getting a kit that has the upper assembeld allready..most do..

I would howerever look at a DPMS kit, I'm not to sure anout the quality of the Model 1 Sales kits.. I am sure they are fine.. But I know that the DPMS are...
    Repeal FOPA NOW!!!!!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

The guys at AR15 have good things to say about Model1 so far. I thinking the kit route is the way to go since I'm not totally sold on gettinbg an AR yet.

I avoided them for years as being too expensive and troublesome.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

I have built 2 AR's using model 1 kits.

All of the lower receivers parts are included in the kits.
    All of the small parts are mil-spec. so they can be used in anybody's receiver.

It's tough to beat the Olympic forged lowers, they can be had for under $100.
    Here again the receivers are mil-spec including the finish.

Since most all of this stuff is made on CNC machines, to mil-spec, parts interchangeability between manufacturers is generally not a problem.

A forged lower from any of the major suppliers, Olympic, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River etc. will work fine for you.

A receiver block is very handy when assembling these, but not mandatory.
    Roll pin starters and roll pin punches are also very nice to have, but a regular style punch will work.

For the front take down detent, either buy the tool from someone like Brownells, or You can use the pin from a 1/4" clevis, but use one or the other, or you'll spend all day searching the floor, for the detent pin and spring after it launches it's self across the room.

Feedback Score

I hate an AR because it takes too much time to clean it because of the gas system blowing stuff all in the bolt carrier area.

I over clean my guns to the point were they look unfired.
    My wife thinks I have too many guns.
    U.S. Army Reserves 1990-1996
    M1A/M14 and AK47s rule

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.