Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HK G3

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default HK G3

Has anyone seen this in either Shotgun News or G3 parts kit on the Interordnance web site. Looks like it may be cool to try to build one (ok I know 2 or ...) I just trying to see if there is any information on building and then maybe we can go further. Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I believe you can get FMP receivers that were stamped in Portugal and then welded here in the States and therefore considered a U.S. part. Be careful as the H&K kits I've seen have been so-so. I have both a Cetme -excellent/probably unfired kit, and a G-3 that is just fair-good with a good bore. I bought both kits and a Hesse receiver several years ago I but may go ahead and buy the U.S./FMP receivers. You just have to plug weld the receiver to the trunnion and then tig weld the cocking tube. Headspacing is different than most other rifles due to the locking rollers. A real nice site with plenty of great info (including build info)for both the H&K and Cetmes is http://www.cetme.org/mbr.html It's done by a great guy that goes by MWDG3.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Oh Jack--

I just read the Shotgun News article on the MG 42 with the roller lock.

And I just bought a C. Z. so I can play with a roller lock.

I have always wanted to build a G3 so that I could play some more with a roller lock.

And then up jumped a man who I know and respect. And he says let's do it.

It's karma.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Winn it's cosmic. Now all we have to do is get some other guys on board and we my have the start of a the dreaded (oh yea we are in a new place) Group Buy. Come on guys who whats to build a G3, where's Max?
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I noticed where Numrich has a new G3 barrel for $80. And FAC has two G3 receivers; one for $100 the other for $190. Now if I only knew what the difference was.

And I would prefer the German to the Spanish but I'm clueless as to the difference. It turns out there is a a Portuguese copy as well manufactured by FMP.
    As usual, I'm awed by my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    I noticed where Numrich has a new G3 barrel for $80. And FAC has two G3 receivers; one for $100 the other for $190. Now if I only knew what the difference was.

And I would prefer the German to the Spanish but I'm clueless as to the difference. It turns out there is a a Portuguese copy as well manufactured by FMP.
    As usual, I'm awed by my ignorance.

The difference in the receivers is one is stamped in Portugal, on H&K machinary,and then imported by Special Weapons(like an 80% flat). The seams are welded here and it's then considered a US part. The other stamped or sheet metal receiver is made on jigs made by Hesse and then sold to Century, although they claim they have been re-engineered? The cheaper ones have more fit problems and many H&K smiths won't build on them. There are also cast aluminum and Stainless receivers, and although they function fine, they just don't look original. The aluminum ones can be built with no welding. The parts kits out there either come from German made guns(the best), Portugese(next best) or Pakistani, all made under license. Many of the kits come from rifles that were well used in Africa. Maybe these new kits come from countries that are just upgrading to .223 rifles? Lastly you have the original gun, the Cetme, made in Spain and developed by Mauser engineers right after WWII. The Cetme is the original with the H&K being almost a next generation licensed copy. Many of the parts will exchange as long as you change the rest of the sub assembly it belongs to. Some of these came from brand new guns that only had storage wear but they are long gone now.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Grendel-- thanks for the top-flight info on the G3.

I have not called Inter-Ordnance, but their advertising claims excellent condition and $200 a set for 11 plus.

To my mind, and these days when they're getting $350-$400 for the Austrians, that's a good deal.

The $200 for a good receiver would then have to be added to enough parts to make the count right-- what is your thought on that?

And I know Max was looking at some of these kits at the NRA convention, and Jack started this thread, and I'm ready to build one; is there anyone else who is interested in some of this?

v

Feedback Score

If these truly are excellent condition that price would be great. I am certainly interested for something like that. As far as receivers, in all my research there is hands down no other option than the JLD receiver which is US made on H&K tooling from FMP. It is generally know as the only in spec receiver available in the us other than real H&K, which is quite rare and costly. The other thing is it comes with a us made trunion already welded in, and at $189 you get 2 us parts right there.
    Also moderaters/creators, If there is enough interest in this I think it would be benificial to have a new forum section for HK/Cetme

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Winn, lets do an informal poll (fon now, non binding). I would be in for atleast tw(2). Jack
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I'll take two, too.
    Another like this and we've hit the first price break.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.