Galil bullet guide position

Thread: Galil bullet guide position

Feedback Score

Default Galil bullet guide position

Can someone show a picture of what the bullet guide needs to align to so it can convince the bolt to start to rotate?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

11gnju9.jpg

hopefully this helps

Feedback Score

That helps a lot. First, it does answer my question: it is flush with the "rail" the left side of the bolt rides on. Second, from your picture the front of the ramp on the bullet guide aligns with the "incline" machined on the receiver. Finally, the ramp as the picture below shows, my supposedly Galil bullet guide may not be quite as Galilsh as I was hoping.
    Galil_08-sm.jpg
    Still, maybe I can make it work, right?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

picture i posted is from the milled AK. but the concept is the same.

your bullet guide most certainly looks like a Galil. That's exactly what mine looked like too.

mine came with the kit and did not fit into receiver. i had to trim them bottom rectangular portion as well as length front-to-back

Feedback Score

Good to know; I do not feel as bad. My guide fits but it seems a bit too well. By that I mean its bottom rectangular part is not as thick as the hole in the receiver, so it can sink more than it needs to fit flush. So I will need to come up with an insert to raise it and then I can think on checking for hole alignment.

FYI, I realized this is the first step in putting this guy together, way before thinking on slapping the barrel in. After all, if it is not right, the bolt will not rotate with the barrel in place and therefore no headspacing.

Feedback Score

Other related question: which rivet holds said guide? Found out the one for a milled AK guide is a bit fatter than the Galil hole.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

i found that long rivet from AK rear trunnion fits with very little alterations. just need to trim it to size. i had some demilled ones laying around that i will use.
    alternatively you can use common nail from lowes or home depot. they have size that is slightly smaller than rivet hole and would be harder to work with so i would advice first option instead

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info. I found out that if I shim the hold underneath the bullet guide with a ~.060" shim, it seems to line up (I did put something to push the guide away from the barrel end so it lines up with the cut above it.
    Galil_12-sm.jpg
    well enough for it to work. I know I have a few extra trigger guard rivets; after I drill the shim I will see if one of those rivets will do the job. If not, I will then have to order something longer.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.