Gunco Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very poor man's bend jig - lol

24K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  7.62x39 
#1 ·
Ok, I can't even believe this worked. I made it with some 1" angle and 1 1/4" bars from lowes. :headspin:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is the material list from lowes.
3' long 1" angle
3' long 1 1/4" X 1/4" bar (I used 3/16, it bent a little)
2 3" long 5/16 bolts
4 1 1/4" long 5/16 bolts
12 5/16 nuts
Or just use whatever angles,bars,bolts and nuts you have laying around.

Ok, this is how i did it.
Cut 2 pieces of 13" long angles and 2 pieces of 10.5" long bars
Clamp the angles together and drill 5/16 holes at each end. about .5" from the end. Put the 3" bolts in and you got a frame.
Put the flat over the 10.5" bar and center it as much as you can. Trace the Mag well, trigger, grip openings on the bar. Mark the alignment holes on the bar also. Now, you have a general idea on where to drill the holes
Measure to find the center of the bar for the alignment holes and center punch it. Put the flat over it to double check.
Clamp the 2 bars together and drill. I used 1/8" for the alignment holes and 5/16 for the rest. Drill 2 in the mag well, 1 in trigger and 1 in grip.
Use a dremel to clear out a space for the mag well indent and you are done with the bars.
Sandwich the flat between the bars. Use some finish nails to make sure the alignment holes are lined up. Bolt it tight.
I measured the trunnion to be a little over 1 1/4"(32mm) and adjusted the frame to 34mm (1mm flat) wide.
Tighten the nuts, spray on some Wonder Dew 40 and it is hammer time. I would have used a vice but it wouldn't fit in to mine.
I hope that helps.
My next Jig project is a Doct Taped rivet jig. ok Just kidding.

Attachments

#4 ·
Golovko said:
I notice that bar stock from Lowes tends to be somewhat rounded along the narrow sides. That didn't cause you any grief during the bending process?
It has not been a problem for me. The only problem i can see is with the rear trunion and if you are building a pistol or folder. I just put the rear end again the angle and hammer it a few time. a little filing will fix it too. I am working on an upgrade that will make the top rail bending easier.

#9 ·
o.k., looking at the plan on page 1 and having build myu own jig i would suggest adding 3 cross support throughout the length of the jig along the bottom.

you could use 1/4" x 1" flat stock which is cheap and 6 bolts. all in all, it would add another $5 to the cost of the jig. it would also guarentee that when you come down with 12 tons of pressure the jig won't bow out.

my $0.02

caspian

#11 ·
zougou said:
Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.

Attachments

#12 ·
captskip9 said:
zougou said:
Ok, I've built one of these jigs -- henceforth I'm going to call it "The Grasshopper" in honor of its inventor --

I just built one of these jigs and grasshopper is just right for the name ,From start to finish 1 hour and 20 minutes . I used 1 1/2 inch angle and made a third bar so the flat would not start cocked . see the pictures ..:thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Ps I added roll pins so it will line up every time thats what's in the baggie. I cheated a little i printed the pictures from the forum and used them out in my work shop us old farts have short attention spans.

i did a tapco flat with the jig but the mag well did not bend i had to get the BFH after it .I put a ace template on it and every thing lines up I think the bar stock is not wide enough and the magazine well pulls out when it bends ,any other ideas to fix the problem.

Attachments

#13 ·
hcpookie said:
Actually SKSMan was the first one I saw to make one of these. Geez that was over a year ago I guess. "All things old are new again"! Search around here and I think it was in fact "poor man's bending jig" or something like that. Good stuff! ;)
OOPS AGAIN - man I can't seem to get things straight this week. I meant SKS_HUNTER!

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1965

#14 ·
captskip9 said:
Any one else have a problem with the mag well not bending right? I tried another tapco flat and it did the same thing i even put big washers on the flat bars for more support and strength.Grasshoper any ideas on this.:help:
ok, it either the bars are too narrow or their are not bolt tight enough. or there is too much of a radius on the edge of the bars. you should be able to put an angle inside of the bend and use a hammer to make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.