Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Bought a HF TIG Today

  1. #1
    Administrator pirate56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,996
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

    Default Bought a HF TIG Today

    Went to HF and got one of thier $199.00 TIG welders today, then spent another $200.00 for everything else to get it to work. All I need now is a bottle of argon and I can begin build #5, an mg 42. I am anxious to get started, welding is the one thing I miss most since selling my shop several years ago.

  2. #2
    redchevyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,214
    Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

    Default

    I bought one of those tig welders myself. I can not get the damn thing to weld for shit. It does not scratch start very well and when it does start it blows holes in what ever I am working on. I would do much better with my trusty mig welder.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

  3. #3
    hotbarrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,077
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

    Default

    yes please give an update when you try it
    chevy man... sorry to hear it. a friend had prety good results with his. I know they are not the best but I wonder if something is wrong with yours if it just blowes holes. dose it dile down with an infinate adjust or dose it just klick into positions. sounds like low is not low enough..

  4. #4
    Administrator pirate56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,996
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

    Default

    I will do a review once I get started. Obviously it is not as good as a $1,300.00 miller, but it works.
    I have done a little work with one that a friend has and it works. I built up the ejector on my ak 74 and built up the top of a receiver made from a flat with no problem.
    If you are not an experienced welder it is more difficult to get started with than say a mig. but with practice, you can learn.

  5. #5
    Gunco Member Rod M1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    171
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    If you get a AC/DC buzz box you can convert it to Tig for probble under $500 - Gas.

  6. #6
    Gunco Regular thebigca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    554
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Default

    Very interested in hearing how this works out for you. I have one of the HF migs and finally got myself a good size cylinder, guage and gas. Have to practice this weekend.

    I really want to start learning TIG , but am going to practice a few months with my MIG.
    A Day Without Shooting Something Is Like A Day Without Sunshine.

  7. #7
    Indian Admin Winn R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    About 40 mi. north of Atlanta.
    Posts
    5,930
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    an mg 42.
    Pirate -- You, Jerry and I are plugged into these. Anybody else?

    Did you mill a copper form to attach the pieces to? Are you using a heat sink at all?
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell


    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

  8. #8
    Administrator pirate56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,996
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Winn R
    Pirate -- You, Jerry and I are plugged into these. Anybody else?

    Did you mill a copper form to attach the pieces to? Are you using a heat sink at all?
    I made some plates to clamp and locate the sections and will back it up with copper. I am documenting the build on the mg 42 site. I am going to mill out the grip stick area tomorrow and will start welding it up next week. you can follow my progress as I go as I will document it.
    There is a lot of stuff to get, but it is doable, it will just take time.
    here is the link,
    http://www.salt6.com/pirates%20build.htm

  9. #9
    Administrator pirate56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,996
    Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigca
    Very interested in hearing how this works out for you. I have one of the HF migs and finally got myself a good size cylinder, guage and gas. Have to practice this weekend.

    I really want to start learning TIG , but am going to practice a few months with my MIG.
    MIG and TIG are completely different. Once you learn to control the torch TIG is easy and a lot more controlable and precise than mig. with mig there is a constant flow of filler and not much control of how much metal you deposit. with tig you control the puddle size, penetration and amount of filler. it is a very clean precise method of welding, and is the best for small stuff like gun parts.
    there is no spatter, the welds are less work to dress and you can use the rod as a heat sink to control the heat. also with a good welder with a foot control you have very precise control over your weld.

  10. #10
    hotbarrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,077
    Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    MIG and TIG are completely different. Once you learn to control the torch TIG is easy and a lot more controlable and precise than mig. with mig there is a constant flow of filler and not much control of how much metal you deposit. with tig you control the puddle size, penetration and amount of filler. it is a very clean precise method of welding, and is the best for small stuff like gun parts.
    there is no spatter, the welds are less work to dress and you can use the rod as a heat sink to control the heat. also with a good welder with a foot control you have very precise control over your weld.

    WHAT HE SAID...

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •