Grizzly Micro Milling Machine

Thread: Grizzly Micro Milling Machine

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Default Grizzly Micro Milling Machine

I bought a Grizzly Micro Milling Machine thinking it would do all the milling that I needed done for AK building projects. It worked great for about six weeks and then wanted my fingers for an appetizer when I got ready to change mill ends.

I was preparing to change a mill end with the unit off when it decided to turn on full speed by it self. I was out of the way when it did this, luckily, but WTF. I called customer service and they sent me a new control switch which fixed nothing. Now I am waiting on a new control board to be installed by me to fix the problem.

Has anyone else out there had the same problem with either Grizzly or Harbor Freight products as they are the same with different paint jobs. I am looking for others with the same problem with their equipment as I have had.

Nice equipment for the price, but I am having problems...............

Feedback Score

when working on stuff like that.... UNPLUG IT!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

That will be a mandatory procedure with this piece of equipment with me from now on. Electrical malfuckution = less fingers on the left hand.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Game
    when working on stuff like that.... UNPLUG IT!

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Are you talking about the Model #G8689? I was thinking of getting one to put in my home workroom for small jobs next year. The #G0517 (Drill/Mill) looks like you get more capacity for only $30 more, and now that there may be problems with the electronics on the #G8689 it makes it look even better. I?m just now setting up a shop and bought their #G3616 Mill and #G9249 Lathe, but I want a small mill for small work that lets me work indoors where there?s heat, TV, Radio, all in the same place. I do like the Mini-Mill because I think you can convert it to CNC for under $2.000.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

That is the model that I bought, theG8689 and it is a very nice piece of Chinese work for the money. I received the control board and installed it repairing the problem. The mill is as good as new with no cost to myself at all. Grizzly paid all the costs and I just had to install the parts which was easy. A belt driven mini mill would eliminate the electronics debacle, but I still like my mill as it is. It is still in warrenty for 10 more months so I will keep it and continue building AK's with it.

Harbor Freight has the same mill for about the same price, but a different color. The question is, do they have the same level of customer service as Grizzly?????

I will stick with Grizzly and this mini mill for all of my projects........

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgunner
    Are you talking about the Model #G8689? I was thinking of getting one to put in my home workroom for small jobs next year. The #G0517 (Drill/Mill) looks like you get more capacity for only $30 more, and now that there may be problems with the electronics on the #G8689 it makes it look even better. I?m just now setting up a shop and bought their #G3616 Mill and #G9249 Lathe, but I want a small mill for small work that lets me work indoors where there?s heat, TV, Radio, all in the same place. I do like the Mini-Mill because I think you can convert it to CNC for under $2.000.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM
    I was preparing to change a mill end with the unit off when it decided to turn on full speed by it self.
    It's haunted, get rid of it fast.
    If you pay me $50, I'll come haul it off for you.

Glad your OK man

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM
    That is the model that I bought, theG8689 and it is a very nice piece of Chinese work for the money. I received the control board and installed it repairing the problem. The mill is as good as new with no cost to myself at all. Grizzly paid all the costs and I just had to install the parts which was easy. A belt driven mini mill would eliminate the electronics debacle, but I still like my mill as it is. It is still in warrenty for 10 more months so I will keep it and continue building AK's with it.

Harbor Freight has the same mill for about the same price, but a different color. The question is, do they have the same level of customer service as Grizzly?????

I will stick with Grizzly and this mini mill for all of my projects........
    Yep that was the one I was looking at as a possible in-the-house mill. Like I said I was looking at their model #G0517 also, but it?s just a glorified drill press from the looks of it. But then it does come with the stand, a machine vice and the 12 speeds doesn?t hurt either. Your Mini-Mill seems like it will give better results as far as accuracy but isn?t the table a bit small? I?m not criticizing your choice of machine because I do like it. You probably did what I should have done and only bought the size machine I really needed for the work I can see myself doing in the future. Instead I now have a 2,000lb, 80-inch tall mill that cost me five times as much as your machine did. I?m thinking a smaller Mill/Drill would have done the job at half the price, something like their model #G3358 would have been fine. I guess I have this thing where I think bigger is better?..(small voice in head) "But the big mill does come with power cross feed and built-in flood coolant and a 9.5?X31.5? table...and this...and that". Oh forget it?I just talked myself into the big mill again, that little guy in the back of my head keeps saying ?Bigger IS Better?Bigger IS Better?...Now if I can just get him to help pay for the damn thing!
    I wish you luck and please post some pictures of your work, I still like the idea of a small mill for the small jobs because I know bigger isn?t always better.

As far as service at Grizzly goes?I?ve never heard anything bad and they have always gotten back to me real fast with answers to my questions, enough said!
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Years ago I worked for an elderly man who had a back yard machine shop that he and his son used for business and pleasure. He had three lathes and a Bridgeport vertical milling machine with a 5 Hp motor and all of the bells and whistles. I loved working with that machine and learning from him and his friends as to how to work with the machine. When he died and his son in law sold everything, I had gone to another job. The big machine was a wonder to work with, but I now only need the mini mill to do the work that I am doing. It is not perfect, but it does everything that I am capable of doing and needing with it.

By the way, the older gentleman bought the mill at a government auction for $800.00 in the mid 60's.The only thing he did to fix it up was to add DRD and stepper motors to drive it in the late 80's. He was a sharp guy who knew how to make money and have a good time playing with his toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgunner
    Yep that was the one I was looking at as a possible in-the-house mill. Like I said I was looking at their model #G0517 also, but it?s just a glorified drill press from the looks of it. But then it does come with the stand, a machine vice and the 12 speeds doesn?t hurt either. Your Mini-Mill seems like it will give better results as far as accuracy but isn?t the table a bit small? I?m not criticizing your choice of machine because I do like it. You probably did what I should have done and only bought the size machine I really needed for the work I can see myself doing in the future. Instead I now have a 2,000lb, 80-inch tall mill that cost me five times as much as your machine did. I?m thinking a smaller Mill/Drill would have done the job at half the price, something like their model #G3358 would have been fine. I guess I have this thing where I think bigger is better?..(small voice in head) "But the big mill does come with power cross feed and built-in flood coolant and a 9.5?X31.5? table...and this...and that". Oh forget it?I just talked myself into the big mill again, that little guy in the back of my head keeps saying ?Bigger IS Better?Bigger IS Better?...Now if I can just get him to help pay for the damn thing!
    I wish you luck and please post some pictures of your work, I still like the idea of a small mill for the small jobs because I know bigger isn?t always better.

As far as service at Grizzly goes?I?ve never heard anything bad and they have always gotten back to me real fast with answers to my questions, enough said!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have 27 years in Plastic Injection Molding and almost all of those years I had access to the ?Tool Room? and after hours access to Bridgeport?s and Lathes of various sizes. Now that I?ve been away from it for over three years I guess I was going nuts, every time I wanted to do a repair or work on a little idea for something to build I just had to give up. So I?ve bought (Charged them actually) my own machines, but now it looks like I won?t have the money to get them running very soon. I thought about buying a used Bridgeport (Lots of them around the Rockford area cheap) but they?re all 3-phase and also being used you never know what may go wrong. I?m going to break my word and start selling at eBay again, I hate the bastards but that?s the place to go if you want to sell anything. I know that Centerfire Systems is trying to start its own Auction site (Lois told me about it over a month ago) but I can?t depend on sales till people find out about them and come aboard and start selling and buying in large numbers. So back to eBay, at least for now.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.