Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Presses?

Feedback Score

I just ordered the 12 ton "A" frame press from Harbor Freight. Now Im not sure if it will have enough clearance for a barreled receiver. Pressing a FSB on may not be possible. Has anyone used one of these?? Is there any AK work that can't be done with this style press? I need to know if I should cancel my order. If you can help, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

chargedmr2

Sunny South Florida aka: knee deep in horse manure!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by yosuthnmasa
    Exactly,

I too have the 20 ton press and have noticed at times it can be a bit unsturdy. Your idea sounds like a good one too.

Sorry to veer off subject here, but how do you guys ensure that the ram is pushing perpendicular to the area that the plates sit on? Sometimes I wonder if I am truly pushing at a 90 to the plates. When I first set it up, I tried to make sure the bar that the ram is on sat parallel by using a level and increasing or decreasing the length of the springs. However, after time I think it gets off again. Any suggestions on how to make sure the ram stays pushing perpendicular to the plates and will stay this way?
    My 20 ton press had so much slop, I had to attach guide rods with sleeves to get it to press straght.
    gtbehary........ ak builder, hack machinist, nuclear worker and violin huckster!

Feedback Score

I have the 12 ton from HF and it has 5/8" slop. Took 2 1/4"x3" pieces of flat stock and bent them into an L shape for shimming purposes and made all the difference in the world.

Feedback Score

Have any of you guys used the Northern Tool presses. i was looking at this one because of it's size. It will fit right into an empty spot in my reloading room.

Feedback Score

Thats the same one Harbor Freight sells for $99.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the info. I will be going to one of their stores in December, maybe they will have one on stock and i can save on shipping..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.