Gunco Forums banner

Harbor Freight Shop Press help

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
I have read about you guys buying a 10 ton for 89.00 from them but all I see is the 6 ton unit for that price. Do they have it only in the stores and will a 6 ton do the job to bend the recievers and press the barrels out? I have a 20% coupon that is good til Feb 2 .

#4 ·
I've read you need a min. of 12 ton press. But, I have a 12 ton and it does it effortlessly. It seem Like a smaller om would work, but I have never tried. I got my 12 ton on sale then used a 20 percent off coupon. And it ended up beeing 69.00 . Where did you get your coupon? I need another.

#10 ·
the twelve ton is about right. Any smaller and some of those Romy barrel pins might be too much for it.....

#11 ·
Harry Nutts said:
they have a 12 ton on sale now for $79.99 no coupon
ITEM 1667-1VGA
That's the A-frme one, right?
I went to my local store the other day and they don't stock that one. So I got the H-frame model and it was on sale for $109 minus 20% coupon made it like $93, not bad for a press that's regularly $135.

#12 ·
does anyone use one of the 12 ton A-Frame models ? I have thought about trying one but wanted some input first.....

#13 ·
i saw those they just look a little bit more flimsy in construction but the price is right iam rebuilding a transmission for a bike right now and am really in need for one. I live in indiana and the store nearby me has the a frame for 79.99 and the H frame for 134.99 but that schould be prolly 109 since the harborfreightusa has a flyer with that price in it. I buy tools with what i need them for in mind and in the same line the quality of them so iam leaning more to the a frame

#15 ·
i'm thinking about taking my 12 ton HF press to work and weld it up square...seems lately the more torque i'm putting on it...it wants to flex or bow on me.. got the SOB shimmed and tightened down, but still wants to get out of square. actually thinking about making it a foot or two shorter as well ??

#16 ·
Rich said:
I've been using the A-frame press for many years and am very happy with it. It is stable and many times I have pushed the 12 ton jack to the limit and never hurt the frame at all. Hope this helps.
This is what I was wondering. Doesnt the design of the A frame lend it self to stay in square easier over the H frame ? Im not an engineer so its all guesswork from me but if so why does everyone buy the H frame.

I find myself always shimming and tightening up mine as well and after the holidays I am going to give it a make over with my Mig welder.....

Merry Christmas everyone !!!

#17 ·
I've read that the A-frame is actually a better design because it tends to square itself under pressure. I don't know if this is true - but I know if I was to buy another one I would probably look for another A-frame first since mine has always been maintenance free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.