Thread: Cheap Parkerizing Tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Cheap Parkerizing Tanks

I was out picking up my new Springfield XD-40 tonight and stopped at a ?Cub Foods? store to pick up some Pepsi and found these stockpots in the produce dept. If you don?t have a Cub Foods in your area try other chain stores; it?s something they may only have for the holidays. That?s a 4-gallon Stainless Steel stockpot in the picture, its over 12? in diameter and stands 10 ? ? tall. It comes with a lid and sold for only $4.99. Just the right size for parking anything except a long barrel. They're also very good for electrolytic de-rusting of metal, You can run a bead of RTV silicon around the lip of the lid and after letting it dry it?ll work as a gasket, so the lid can then be clamped on to keep the park solution from evaporating. They also had three smaller pots all at the same price of $4.99 but I thought the bigger the better. I now have 4 Parkerizing/De-Rusting tanks for only $20.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score

Please explain how to electrolytically de-rust metal.

tx.

Rik

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

check this out, you may find it helpful. Jack

http://www.parkerizingtanks.com/yabbse/index.php
    Be sure to check out:
    www.warroom.com
    and
    www.michaelsavage.com

What ever it is I'm against it.
    Always question authority.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulrik
    Please explain how to electrolytically de-rust metal.

tx.

Rik
    Sorry Ulrik I forgot to subscribe to this thread so I didn?t see your posted question.
    You?ll need. 1 container, either steel or stainless steel is best, if you use plastic you?ll need to hang an electrode inside and again stainless is best. (I use a stainless Steel Restaurant steam table pot) Fill it with water and ad one or two tablespoons of baking soda. Hang your part with an iron or steel wire so it?s just submerged. OK now you?ll need some electrical power, I use a cheap motorcycle battery charger but a small trickle charger or one of those little 3 to 12 volt plug in the wall power supplies is fine. You must hook the negative wire to the wire the part is hanging from and the positive to the container or electrode and then just plug it in. Do this with proper ventilation because the bubble?s that will start coming from the part is Hydrogen and can burn, (Think Hindenburg) I?d guess it?s not very good to breathe either. You?ll have to guess on the time needed for yourself, it?ll depend on the amount of rust and your setup. A lightly rusted FAL mag I did only took about 90 minutes and a hoe that had belonged to my Mother and sat outdoors for ten years, took the better part of two days. Just unplug the power and pull the part and brush off the black crud, if it still has rust just put it back and give it more time. This will do nothing for the pits left by rust but it will get the rust gone.
    "Moss Isley spaceport. You'll not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
    (Actually this better describes Washington than Moss Isley)

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

this sounds way too cool. I will have to try it!!! thanks for the tip. derust with no scratching..

Feedback Score

Thanks, Oldgunner... I have never heard of this before!!!
    I have to try it out.
    I do have a couple of those large stainless stockpots I bought at SAM'S Club a long time ago. Those should work out pretty well.
    Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money

Gunco Slightly Irregular cammobunker's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I seem to remember those as being carried at wal-mart too.
    One thing for sure, they really aren't great pots-if you manage to burn anything in them they need a wire wheel to clean out the bottom. However, I think yer right on the money for the proper use for them-Park Tanks! Hmmmm. Maybe blueing tanks as well?
    "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my boomstick!"
    -Ash, Army of Darkness
    "There are two kinds of people in this world, Tuco.
    Those with loaded guns,
    and those who dig. You dig."
    -Blondie, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.