Homier Spot Welder

Thread: Homier Spot Welder

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Homier Spot Welder

Has anybody else bought the Homier spot welder? I bought it, it arrived, and I realized that it requires a 110volt 30-amp circuit. It has a standard three-prong plug like the kind on a toaster, and it plugs into a receptacle like the average kind you see in your living room. But it draws 30 AMPS!!! I can't find a receptacle that'll handle it. Anybody have any information on this? How can I make a circuit to handle this welder?
    * This is My Rifle *

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

house wiring is @ 20 amps for # 12 wire (the standard for NEC) if you have a outlet for an electric dryer these are #10 wire good for 30 amps. Perosnally I'd go with a short pig tail at the breaker box with an outlet and box with a cord grip and say the pig tail was 6 feet long. put in another breaker if you have a space at 30 amps. If you have questions about the way to go talk with the folks over at Lows or Home depot. Most of the folks in the electrical dept have been in the industry and can help you. Just make sure that they have been a sparky in there past.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have a Homier(Speedway) big sticker on it says 30 amp.Just plug it in.Most people don't like them because they are too hot.At work with commercial wiring I have to plug it in to a 25'cheap extension cord or it will blow thru .040 unless you are really quick on the trigger.I just plug it in at home in the shop that has about 60' of 12ga and a 20amp breaker to the plug.Make the tips dia larger than stock and squeeze the crap out of the clamp handle.Weld times are very short and I have not tripped a breaker yet.Better practice on scrap first and you will see what I mean.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That's the model I have too. I tripped the breakers on every circuit I tried today. I wonder if maybe I have the tips filed down too sharply. I'll try it again with 3/16" diameter tips.
    * This is My Rifle *

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well you got me .I haven't tripped any breakers.Could try the dryer outlet I suppose.Or the neighbors outlets.Or a new welder-could be bad?Hard to say without another to try side by side.I'm not one to make wiring suggestions since most of my screwdrivers have arc burns and I like the blue color of the arc corona.
    It's only metal, it's not magic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

OK I figured it out. When I formed the tongs into the shape Fred at GunsGutsAndGod suggested I made the tips too wide. The result was too wide a path for the current to follow, and the breakers tripped. I fild down the tips, and they work fine now.
    * This is My Rifle *

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.