TIG OR MIG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIG OR MIG

Feedback Score

Default TIG OR MIG

I am a newbie when it comes to welding and I want to learn on my own, which would be more beneficial to learn first TIG or MIG welding. reason is I have a 30% coupon and many discount cards for Sears and can get a great price break, so I though I would get one.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

There is a tig tutorial on my site www.projectguns.com

tig is best fot gun work

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Johnth,

My 2 cents would be tig. Its the cleanest of all welds. Almost no spatter. Mig is sorta messy not as bad as stick welding Spatter is those little globules of metal (little balls that stick to the metal close to the weld area) they are a pain in the butt to get off and makes finishing the metal harder. Tig is like brazing using an electric arc. One note of causion. The arc is brighter than any welding I know of its white like lighting and will give you a sun burn through a T-shirt. So get some greens to go with the new welder. If you don't you might give the wife/girlfriend a good laugh when you have the mirror image of the letters of that T-shirt in white and the rest of your chest is red. (I learned that the hard way) I was welding with the coat open (was 120 degrees in the shop) You can get a decent auto darkening helmet at Harbor frieght

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

TIG for precision - MIG for speed.

TIG can get you a very fine weld bead. Great for precision work including Firearms. You can TIG in a shirt and a tie - clean welding.

TIG is not difficult to learn.

Did I do that?

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)

do it rite the first time and their is not need to do it again.
    if you buy a tig you will never need a mig.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've got a mig, can I use it to weld rails onto the reciever?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwolf
    I've got a mig, can I use it to weld rails onto the reciever?
    It's possible, depending on your skill with it and how low you can dial your machine.

As to the original question:

I've got both and wouldn't get rid of either one. With a TIG you can weld two beer cans together as you've got much more control over the temperature of the weld puddle. You can weld pretty much anything that'll weld with TIG. Swap out the torch for a stick holder and the same machine works as a stick welder. MIG is a much faster process though, it's better suited to production shop fabrication. A MIG welder is ideal for tacking things together, though I would highly suggest not parrotting those idiots on TV who tack things together with their eyes closed. Sunburn your eyeballs once and you'll understand why.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Tailgunner thanks 4 the quick responce. I'm a poor college student so I can't afford a tig right now. Put I do have a 110v mig and I'm worried about the "heat" issue. I have accecess to the school's tools, but that's not a option. Not 4 the obvious reasons( of course all legit ), but the "Lib" women would label me and I'd never get laid. It happened (labeled 4 different reasons) once befored at a junior college and believe me it's worse than terriorism (or close to it). So thanks again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up

TIG with a foot control is definately the way to go with guns, precise control, versatile, and clean. This weld on a scratch built Ruger Mk-II bolt was done with a TIG. This aluminum frame was jigged up and welded along the seems with a TIG as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Not a problem DW. If you want to practice, Aircraftspruce sells reciever sized pieces of 4130 for a few dollars each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.