opinions on bead blaster

Thread: opinions on bead blaster

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default opinions on bead blaster

Looking to buy a bead blaster for parkerizing/bluing prep and general shop useage. Does anybody here have the Cummins model bead blaster :http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1102.htm
    How do you like it?? Anyone have a different model they would recommend??
    I have a single stage 5 h.p. sears aircompressor, So I am limited to a smaller cabinet.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

That looks kind of like the one I have from harbor freight. it should work well for all your needs.

Feedback Score
    74 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56
    That looks kind of like the one I have from harbor freight. it should work well for all your needs.
    Yes it looks like the same one HF sells. And its the same price. I had one and it worked well.
    Buy your US made AK-47 compliance parts here.
    Best price on US made AK parts! also $5 flat rate shipping .
    http://www.rcmgunparts.com/

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

When you put it together, seal up ALL joints real good. I THOUGHT I did.
    I paid $90.00 for a sack of 120 grit aluminum oxide & the next morning it was all on the floor under the cabinet. ( contaminated) I had fun screening it all clean.
    Use the smaller size nozzles to make up for lower air volume.
    I also have a 5hp 30 gallon Sears compressor & the first chance I get, I'm buying a 7.5hp 2 stage.
    What you'll have will be great for gun parts.
    But might get a little monotnous doing something like a rusty wheel rim or large engine parts.
    There's no end to the things you'll find to clean up in the blast cabinet!
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Get as big of a cabinet as you can afford or have room for. The size of the compressor doesn't matter to the size of the cabinet, it's the siphon gun that determines whether your compressor is to small or not.
    I have a HF cabinet, which comes with a very cheap siphon gun, and a 6 hp/27 gal compressor and it keeps up.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Seal it, seal it, seal it!

Feedback Score

Have one too! I use clear silicone to seal all seams. The floressent light it came with sucks. I use a construction type halogen lamp 1000 watt. Cuts through the dust just fine.

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pistolman
    Have one too! I use clear silicone to seal all seams. The floressent light it came with sucks. I use a construction type halogen lamp 1000 watt. Cuts through the dust just fine.

I forgot to mention that. I ripped that piece of crap light out right away. I just shoved a plastic light bulb socket in the old hole & i use a 100 watt light bulb. It's a LOT better than it was.
    But now I want to try a 1000 watt light!

Oh .............the Chinese instructions that came with mine were more of a hinderance than help. I know those bastards are laughing at us when they write the instructions
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks guys, I'll have to go check out Harbor Freight, the blaster looks like a good buy, especially if I can turn up a coupon. When it comes to tools, I have a habbit of always wanting to buy the best of the best. The down side is, I don't have hardly enough tools because I can't afford what I think I need.

Feedback Score

One of the best investments is a inverted bag dust collector. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=283&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=325-0000
    The seal on the cabinet is not critical because there is no positive pressure created by the compressed air in the cabinet. You can see what you are doing too, no dust. Without a dust collector you would be pushing abrasive dust into your lungs and the whole room that the blast cabinet is in. After that get a 2 stage air compressor. Single stages will burn out with heavy usage (and abrasive dust in the air too). I still use a particulate dust filter to protect my lungs when blasting.
    Keep your air lines free of moisture. Blast media does not work well when it has moisture in it.
    A cabinet sized enough for a disassembled rifle seems to take about $100 worth of aluminum oxide.

This sounds like a large investment in tooling but, if I knew this from the start I would have spent less over the long haul.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.