Thread: Where to get 9x20 lathe belts?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Where to get 9x20 lathe belts?

Oh the horror of it. Why do the 9x20 lathes use those thin v-belts that dry out and break for no reason, especially when your're half way through a project? Its my fault though I noticed it was starting to fray and I didn't get another one. Where do you guys get your belts for them? I usually wait till I'm stuck with no belt and get them from a guy on ebay for about $18 shipped. I figure there must be a cheaper place for them out there?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I doubt this is one that will fit your's however the one I just got to replace the old leather belt works.

South Bend or Atlas Lathe flat drive belt custom cut - eBay (item 370128838159 end time May-09-09 19:33:58 PDT)
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This is it 5M730 V-Belt 9x20 Lathe, Harbor Freight, Grizzly, Jet - eBay (item 120404551524 end time May-10-09 06:12:03 PDT) I guess some take a 710mm length v-belt and others a 730 length one. Mine is the 730mm one. I figured someone might have a cheap source of them so I could stock a few of them. I did see where a guy made new pulleys for his lathe so it could take a heavier belt, but I'd rather not go that route. I got about 10 months out of this last one.

Feedback Score

Hello moleman,
    Check the 9x20 yahoo forum group for their trick solutions. (Yahoo always has a forum !) I believe that there are American-made V-belts for your lathe. An industrial bearing and belt supplier would have such stuff. Yes, the belts seem to be too small for serious work.

Happy Hunting,
    VD

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks VD

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I use one of these on my 9x20. Don't remember what width you need. My lathe and spares are still packed up from my move so I can't easily look.

H9816 Power Twist® V-Belt, 3/8" x 5'

H9815 Power Twist® V-Belt, 1/2" x 4'

H9817 Power Twist® V-Belt, 5/8" x 6'

-yarro

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.