Starting a lathe build

Thread: Starting a lathe build

Feedback Score

Default Starting a lathe build

54" atlas bed 10" head stock and cross slide so far for about 120.00 off ebay. Gonna go CNC from the start so dont need all the rest of the stock parts. Ill be making a spindle and some other parts as I go as well as modifying the bed and cross slide for ball screws.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

that is one heck of a project!! keep us posted with the progress.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Wow! Sure IS a heck of a project! Roll your own roll your own machine.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score

keep the pics coming as you build

Feedback Score

Hello joezx10r,
    That is quite a project !!! I can understand the change to a custom headstock shaft that doesn't screw the chucks on and off. Hopefully your Atlas frame is for the Timken bearings which will allow a higher turning speed.

Speaking of speeds... Do you plan to use a variable speed motor with this project ?? There are 120 VAC single phase motor VFD's available to help do that. There are other methods too. I would be tempted to use a 2 hp 3-phase motor with a VFD for better low RPM torque that won't over-heat the motor. Some mechanical reduction drive will still be needed. Take care with that much HP as it can excede the Atlast lathe frame design strength. Some guys have resorted to using beefy cast concrete bench tops to reduce lathe chatter with the Atlas (WW-11 production fix by the way).

I have heard of fellows doing the CNC conversion to the light duty Atlas lathes though it is a bit rare. You may find some useful info on the Atlas Lathe yahoo group though those fellows are not a CNC group. Obviously you have access to shop machinery to make your needed special parts. Your project to me is superior to a CNC conversion to a little chi-com lathe. Good luck and please keep us posted on this neet project !!!

VD

Feedback Score

I belive it is for timken's but not sure, even if its not It wont take much to make it work with them anyways. I really would like to keep it single phase but 3 phase isn't out of the question. My plan is to use step pulleys where the original spindle gears were and a VFD and cnc4pc c6 speed controller with mach but Im still learning the electronics so this may change. Ive been getting my info from CNCZONE.COM those guys know everything and do some crazy builds.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.