castable refractory DIY heat treat oven
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: castable refractory DIY heat treat oven

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default castable refractory DIY heat treat oven

The various threads I've looked at on heat treat ovens showed either commercial kilns or homemade ones using firebrick. Firebrick does not exist here, and would have to be mail ordered, so I'd like to try one of the castable refractory mixes. There are several in the metalcasting fora which use Portland cement, Bentonite clay, and perlite. I've acquired those. Mix proportions vary depending on what I read. Doesn't seem to be all that big of a deal.

The melting furnaces appear to have problems with spalling or cracking, but they run at considerably higher temperatures than we need to heat-treat an AK receiver. I'm willing to give it a shot, anyway.

Has anyone here cast a furnace instead of using firebrick? Comments?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Very interested in your results, I have been reading the metal forums for years and have wondered if what your suggesting might be possible. I am sure that more than a few flint knappers would be interested also as they have to heat treat flint at much lower temps than that.
    MOLON LABE !!!!!

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjemin Franklin

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. -- Sigmund Freud

TO vote for the lesser of two evils , is to still vote for evil.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A kiln is one of the projects I've had on the back burner for a while now. Here's a link to the thread on it I started. http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/los...casting-42860/ It has some good links to formulas and how to make a kiln. I've aquired everything I need so far except for the mizzo type refractory and I just need to drive to get some as shipping is expensive. The home made refractory made form portland cement and ground kitty litter should work fine for what you're wanting. For a heat source you might want to look at the HF fires of hell brush torch. It has no problem heating a 1.5" steel bolt to a nice yellow in the open air. I finally used up the last of the propane in an old 20lb propane tank (with the old valve that they won't refill any more) to use as the casing. I'll take the valve off and fill it with water before I try to cut it in half.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

That sounds like it would work. The guys at work (making aluminum smelting pots)use stuff that looks & is soft like modeling clay with sand mixed in, it hardens up real good and holds up to the heat. I don't know what it is called, I'll need to check next time I see them working with it.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have Kanthal wire, a digital controller, a monster SCR, a thermocouple, and an oven gasket for the door. Somewhere I have the instructions on how to hook it all up... but I need to come up with a suitably insulated box.
    Last edited by TRX; 09-19-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: keyboard/fingertip interface failed

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Here's what I found over at Paragould for $200.00. There's a guy who sells used industrial machinery cheap.I still don't have it plumbed to gas tank though. Might make a good shop heater if nothing else!

" Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

cool!
    looks like something out of our foundry!!
    we have all kinds of old equipment!
    heck one of the mills they use is dated 1939!!
    shouldent be too hard to make somthing usefull out of it!

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrock View Post
    Here's what I found over at Paragould for $200.00.
    You stink, Brad! Harrumph!

What's the box thingie? Some kind of temperature controller?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Try looking on the web under "Farriers", I probably spelled that wrong, but it's the guys who shoe horses.
    A guy I go to church with does this and he has a small forge in the back of his truck that runs off LP gas. It will heat up to 2000 degrees. A receiver fits real well in it. I have yet to try and treat one until I figue out how to keep it from warping.

Check ebay, there are several there. Theres one like Bradocks and the bid is only $20 right now
    W@W@ Complete Johnson Gas Blacksmith Forge w/Control - eBay (item 140346782563 end time Sep-24-09 19:20:02 PDT)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i saw this for a jig brian
    check it out
    looks like ittl work good
    Full Receiver Heat Treating - AR15.COM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.