Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Input on Mill

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks VD, I'll try to take it apart this afternoon.

...so I could lift the lightened mill up onto the stand myself. OINK !!
    Damn!!! I must be out of shape, a friend was helping me and this thing almost beat us the whole time.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hello Coils,
    Yup !!! Lifting my mill even with the table and motor off really tore me up but I had no alternative. I'm a 63 years old fart. (Also my mill is a bit lighter than yours).

The trick set-up for waltzing these things around is to use a portable engine hoist (rented, borrowed, etc...)' My nephew and I moved his beefy Cincinatti bench mill (ex- US Army Ordnance shop machine) using his portable engine hoist. We horsed it accross his backyard and into his small shed-shop in two sections. Both sections were way too heavy for us to lift manually.

VD

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I'll keep looking -- I had a link on splitting the acme nuts for a Bridgeport but can't find it now.

Mine has a ton of backlash but I watch directions and use the table locks. It's livable.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Once he gets the acme nut bolts tightened down the acme nut is already split with a allen screw to remove the backlash.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

(Also my mill is a bit lighter than yours).
    The manual shows it's 660 lbs. I have no idea what that home built stand weighs?

Mine has a ton of backlash but I watch directions and use the table locks. It's livable.
    the acme nut is already split with a allen screw to remove the backlash.
    I can live with backlash, but parts being loose bugs me.
    Moleman, yes I believe this has a split nut with a screw through it, I'll have to look closer at it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Some useful info -

9-524-machine-tool-training
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks Pookie, added it to my favorites to look it over later.

Well I got it apart and back together, lucky me it was just a loose bolt, some cleaning and a little thread lock should keep it good for a while. The play in the Y axis is about 020" now, was about 080" +/- before, I can live with that.

A Thank You to everyone. I didn't get any pics of it cleaned yet but will put up a few before & afters later.

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    And to me the best part, he was asking $400 and I got him to come down to $360.
    Can you feel the waves of jealousy emanating from Arkansas?

Okay. First thing you need to do is go to Lindsay Books' web site and order a catalog. Then subscribe to the cnczone.com and practicalmachinist.com forums.

cnczone is the gunco of the machining fora. And it's not all about CNC.

Next thing you need to do: take the mill apart. All the way apart. It's not rocket surgery. Clean everything up, check for obvious wear, put it back together. The mill will have to be "trammed", the tightness of the gibs set, you might want to make some mods to reduce lash in the leadscrews, etc. There's quite a lot about that on cnczone in the mini-mill subforum.

Then you'll have a clean, correctly aligned machine that you know inside and out, that you can learn on without having crunchy screws and a sloppy table make things twice as hard as they need to be.

As for the Linsday catalog... if you have any fangle genes, you'll feel sharp stabbing pains about your wallet area. But they'll go away soon enough.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Can you feel the waves of jealousy emanating from Arkansas?
    LOL No

Thanks TRX, I was told about CNCZone but didn't check it yet, the extra info about it (mainly the Gunco part) will make me look at it sooner now. And I'll look at the practical one too.
    A friend told me about Lindsay's.

As for taking it apart, other then lifting the top of it off the pole, I pretty much had everything apart and cleaned already. Actually other then the table area this thing was fairly clean for being a 20+ year old machine, it doesn't look like it was used hard, just not maintained very well somewhere along it's life.

So do the gibs do more then just tighten up the table? The manual makes it sound like they just take out some play and make the talbe more solid (don't know how else to say it).

Feedback Score

Hello Coils,
    Yup !! Those gibs are just that. They act as bearings to allow smooth and true movement of the table. They are adjustable to allow for wear. It doesn't appear that your gibs or dovetails are worn unevenly. Keep your machine well oilled and clean. It will last a long time with care and proper use.

Lindsay's Books has some neet repro stuff that goes way back.

Be careful how you remove rust especially from the table. I use a special scraper that pushes the rust right off but doesn't dig into the iron below and screw-up the table precision. Some fellows use coarse steel wool and diesel fuel (or lamp oil which smells better).

Yes, practicalmachinist.com is an excellant forum(s). It is more oriented toward commercial shops than the HSM (home shop machinists) or hobbyists. Many of those guys have fantastic metal working shops. Take a look at their shop pics, a very humbling experience !!! haha !!!

VD

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.