Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Input on Mill

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Input on Mill

Anybody got any experience with this mill? Pros - Cons?
    - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    There's one in a local ad and the asking price is just under half that, I don't think it comes with any tooling but I figure if it's in decent shape it'd be worth checking out.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Default mill

I ended up going with a rong fu from enco with a 3 axis dro. just the shipping alone save me 400-500 bucks . They shipped for free. + they always send me emails with great deals ,the cheapest prices around

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

if you can get it for 5 or 6 hundred and it is not beat it is a good deal.

if you want a good sturdy mill cheap check out this one:

I have been using mine almost every day for over a year and it is well worth the $$$

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56 View Post
    if you can get it for 5 or 6 hundred and it is not beat it is a good deal.

if you want a good sturdy mill cheap check out this one:

I have been using mine almost every day for over a year and it is well worth the $$$
    +1, for this kind of money you can usually find a very nice used Bridgeport. Especially in this economy. A few years back I had a CNC one (which I still kick myself for selling) and a standard one, I paid $2000 for the CNC and $1000 for the regular one. Both were VERY nice.

Mark

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

If you have a chance to buy a decent mill go for it. I got the harbor freight green machine this past spring. After learning how to use it I can't help but think of all the hours I spent hand making parts that I can now make in a few minutes. The parts can be more detailed and be of better quality than I can be do with an angle grinder and hack saw. Tooling though is goin to be where you spend the real money. Do yourself a favor and get a good kurt type vise. They often have used originals on ebay in the $30-$40 range with boogered up or missing jaws (replacable for about $20).

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

At half of the current price, that's a no-brainer. Buy it.

As soon as you set it up, you will find it is too small and not rigid enough. That is normal; anything that doesn't require a reinforced floor and professional riggers is going to be too small and not rigid enough. But you also have to consider the little HF mill can be disassembled and moved by one person, that it doesn't take much space or three phase power, and that is can be set up and making parts or money while a "better" mill is still a dream for the future.

I have a big Gorton vertical mill and one of the little HF mini-mills, a couple of sizes smaller than the one you're looking at. For most jobs, the mini-mill works just fine, and for most of the rest, even the Gorton is a couple of sizes too small...

Even if you find it's not what you want, at that price, plus the changing renminbi/dollar ratio, you wouldn't have any trouble selling it later at a profit.

Last year I went to look at a pair of horizontal mills that a major defense contractor wanted to get rid of. The price: free. But they disassembled into three major sections, each one just barely small enough to fit on a semitrailer flatbed, and probably overweight at that. They took 480 volt three phase power and 1960s magnetic tape controls. One was set up and running, the other had some kind of controller failure and was available for spare parts.

Pro: table large enough to hold a Class C motor home
    Pro: operator platform rode along on the overarm
    Pro: thermonuclear overkill in the milling machine one-upmanship wars

Con: manufacturer long out of business
    Con: floor space required was larger than my house
    Con: 480V 3-phase power not available in my area
    Con: estimated $15,000 for riggers and freight
    Con: estimated weight 40,000 pounds. Each.

I felt sort of like the fisherman that caught a whale - it was *this* big, but it got away...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Anybody got any experience with this mill? Pros - Cons?
    There's one in a local ad and the asking price is just under half that, I don't think it comes with any tooling but I figure if it's in decent shape it'd be worth checking out.
    Soooo..Did ya buy it?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks for the info everyone, I did read your replies before having an adventurous afternoon and evening.

Pirate I would really like to get a machine like that but funds are really tight for me right now, maybe in the future when/if the economy turns around.
    Moleman I remember your thread when you were asking all the questions and trying to figure out what you wanted to get.

OK now to sum up my day.
    I went to check out that mill like the one I linked to, the seller wanted $500 and it came with a vise and some collets, but the machine was rough and looked like it was missing some parts, even if it was complete I still would have been iffy about it at that price because it wasn't taken care of very well. I don't know enough about mills to get something that might or will need work done to it like this one looked like it would need.

But before I left to look at this one I checked the local listings (Craig's List) again and saw another one a little further away, so I made a phone call and got directions from the guy and went to check it out. It was a Central Machinery Model 590 made in 1986 with a vice and some collets (5 or 6) and a stand made from heavy angle iron, it's a lot like the green one Moleman got - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices Here's a couple pics he had in his ad, I'll take better ones latter. It seems like it was used for light duty work or hardly used at all, it does have some grime on it but looks like it will clean up fairly easy. And to me the best part, he was asking $400 and I got him to come down to $360.
    The bitch part was getting it into my garage, had a friend but damn that thing is heavy for two people.

What's a good site or forum that has mill info for a novice?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post

What's a good site or forum that has mill info for a novice?
    I like cnczone the guys over there are helpful. What do U need to know?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What do U need to know?
    A lot, I'm a novice.
    I mainly just want to look over some basic info to start with so I don't mess up anything expensive like the machine itself.
    I was also looking for info on this machine but nothing is coming up, I think I'll have to see if the info for the HF Green Machine will work with it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.