Thread: AK receiver jig

Feedback Score

Default AK receiver jig

I am new to GUNCO and ak building. I am an avid reloader and have avaible the tools to make my own tools. I see alot of "poor man's jigs" and was wondering where to get the dimensions for the blank inside of the receiver of one of these jigs. I am new to this site so thank you for your helping me navigate through. Thanks,Jim
    IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Here is a link to VERY POORMAN'S BENDING JIG.

A lot of great info can be found in the library. Go to the top of the page and click on Gunco.net and click on it and scroll down all the forums till you reach Firearm Library then click on > Rifles Library and then finally > AK-47 Library. Most of the real important stuff are "stickies". I hope this helps.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score

Thanks for the directions!
    IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE

Feedback Score

Hello thrillbilly77,
    The "Very Poorman's Jig" is a great idea. So I built my own version using thicker 2 x 2 inch angle 15 inches long. That angle is 1/4 inch thick to resist deforming under load. The bolts are all 3/8 inch UNC carriage bolts for the same reason, two on each end makes for a much more rigid frame.

The mandrell that the AK flat folds around is 1.25 inch x .5 inch x12 inches cold rolled steel. This mandrel (two of them actually) sandwich the flat. The inner bar must be milled (bevelled) to clear the dimples and impressions on the flat. It slides out after the fold is made. The cold rolled has nice square edges and can clamp the AK flat securely (unlike some hot rolled straps).

Six more 3/8 inch carriage bolts (4 inches long each) go through the cold rolled mandrel bars and are drawn through the frame by using steel cross pieces (1/2 x 1/2 x 3 inch hot rolled steel) and 3/8 inch nuts. No hydraulic press is needed.

Not all AK flats use the 1.25 inch wide mandrel. However my press frame is adjustable. It could also fold MAC flats or tacos if needed !!! Those would use different mandrels.

Carriage bolts are handy as they are all thread and have a square form under the head to fit into a squared up hole. That prevents spinning. The square holes are made with a skinny square file or a broach, or shaper, or filing machine, or...

You may want to sand or grind off the nasty recast on the inner surfaces of your frame so the AK flat wll pull smoothly. Also use grease on it.

Since I pull the flat from the bottom of the frame upward I put feet on the frame to get it off the bench. The 3/8 unc elevator bolts look cool for feet. These types are used to adjust the level of a washing machine or dryer. Carriage bolts would work too.

Yes, this all is likely over-kill but was fun - and beefy !!! Materials cost about $50.oo total from the hardware store and steel supply yard.

VD

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.