Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ak47 mags in sks

Feedback Score

Default ak47 mags in sks

ive got a yugo sks i would like to be able to use a ak 47 mags since ive had little luck with the sks removables and ive got a scope on mine which makes it hard to load.

Feedback Score

Hello perry,
    I recall that the re-magezined SKS must follow the 922r rules on US parts count.

A mill is really needed to open up the SKS receiver (and stock) to accomodate the typical AK box mag. Some SKS receivers are soft some are rock hard, and some mixed. Go slow, use a 3/8 inch diameter carbide ball end mill for the most part.

Magwell corners will require a 1/4 inch end mill (or Dremel). The tricky part is the proper depth of ball mill cut into the SKS receiver. That cut places the magezine into the correct feed position. Go no deeper that the existing forward radius depth only wider. (make sense ???). The front of th AK mag feed lips register at that depth.

The bolt hold open catch must be removed (no spare room in there).

A horizontal slot must be milled at the flattened magwell front to retain the AK mag nose. The slot also partly cuts into the barrel face. A small woodruff keyslot cutter works well. Go slow. The slot is 1/16 inch above the bottom edge of the receiver. This feature is a good place to start you SKS surgery.

The new AK mag sits at a raked angle (vs the usual AK) but feeds that way in an SKS.

A mag catch must be fashioned to hold the AK at the rear perch. Some builders have brazed a small bit of steel to the top of the SKS catch to do this. Some have made an AK-like catch welded to the SKS trigger frame.

The SKS bolt must be narrowed on the bottom surface to pass between the AK mag lips. A grinder can do this using care.

The mill work could likely be done with a die grinder, carbide burrs, layout lines, and lots of patience.

Years ago gunsmiths would charge about $100.oo to do this conversion and that was cheap too !!! Today ????

There must be an old tutorial on the internet for this conversion.

VD

Feedback Score

i believe ill have to wait and get more experience gunsmithing before i takel that and a little more equipment also but ill make a copy of your instructions and tackle it i hope one day. preciate the info viper dude.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Take a different look at this

Howdy,

Been there, done that. Never worked really well due to the amount of meat you will need to take off of the receiver. Also, you will need to place a bit of bar stock up front to mate with the front locking lip on the AK magazine, and trim down the width of the bolt in order to fit between the mag lips. Don't bother to try to open up the mag lips, you will just shoot unfired rounds out of the top of the action.....Kinda funny when you watch it...

Here is what I ended up doing:

Use Mini-30 mags. Modify an existing 10 round fixed mag to hold a front locking pin that holds the front of the mag in place, you will also need to slightly widen the stock 10 rounder, and cut it down a bit on the bottom to allow for easy and quick mag changes. You will need to make a new AK style Mag release, but that is easy. I used an AK unit and Dremeled the crap out of it. A spot weld here and there; viola! Done.

Just order a ten round Mini-30 mag, and a cheap micrometer from Harbor Freight. Measure it all up, and draw some pictures to remind yourself of what you were thinking of. It takes some time and patience, but it is doable. I goofed around with this project back in the day when we were buying Norinco SKS rifles for $52.00 each. Even using Mini-30 mags, you will have to relieve the mag well to match the new mag lip profile, but not so much that you couldn't re-install a stock 10 round SKS mag.

CDNN Investments usually has cheap 10 round Mini-30 mags from USA in stock.

CDNN Sports, Inc.

EDIT
    Here is the exact link:
    Ruger Mini-30 762x39 5rd Blue Steel Mag New USA MFG

Post pics....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Best bet if you want to go that way; sell the one you have now and put the money towards an SKS-D or -M, set up to use the AK mags from the factory. Probably cheaper and less headache in the long run.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have saved a copy of that PDF that details the conversion here:

AK Books - Windows Live

If you use US mags, you can use a Tapco stock and don't they have US SKS pistons now? I don't want to guess about the parts count, but I have seen SKS forums where they talk about it.

Hassle vs. cool factor - I don't know, its a tossup to me. I'd like to have a bunch of things, but then again I want a pony
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

Feedback Score

i think ill waiy on thuos jaws from greenmachine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

It's a quick way to ruin an SKS. To get it to work correctly, you'll basically be doing a full renovation of every area that has to do with the magazine.

This is the best advice in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Best bet if you want to go that way; sell the one you have now and put the money towards an SKS-D or -M, set up to use the AK mags from the factory. Probably cheaper and less headache in the long run.

Feedback Score

Default High Cap SKS Mags

Some time ago I found this site and considered that HiTech had a workable solution for using detachable magazines on SKSs. I haven't dont this to my SKSs so I don't know if it's good or not.
    Maybe someone here can add their opinions for both of us.

AR15 | M16 | SKS | AK47 : scopes - mounts - mags

The page about the magazines is here: HITECH MAGAZINE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I think your best bet if you want a detatchable hi-cap mag is to get the new mag well adapter from the guy's at survivor's sks.com it is an adapter similar to the hitech device without all the price and mags.

All you gotta do is put the adapter in and modify the tapco 20 which work very well in the sks and your done with zero mods to the gun.

thesksmagadapter.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.