My sheldon lathe score!
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My sheldon lathe score!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default My sheldon lathe score!

I have been disappointed with my enco 9x20 lathe and have been looking for a replacement. Late last sunday night I saw an add on craigslist for a 13" sheldon lathe that hadn't been there that morning. The lathe was about an 1.5 hours away and was listed as only needing a compound and motor for $400. I called the guy up monday morning only to find out that someone else was comming to get the lathe on tuesday. I ended up driving down that night after the wife got home to look at the lathe and to put down a deposit. It was big compared to my 9x20 looked like it weighed a ton (2500lbs I found out) and was covered in sawdust. I went yesterday to get the lathe. We were able to use a come along to pull the lathe (which was on casters) off of his raised driveway and onto the trailer. There was only about a 1/2" difference between the two so we were very lucky. At home we used my neighbors engine hoist to raise the lathe off of the trailer and then drove the trailer away. We set the lathe where I wanted it using the engine hoist to keep momma happy as we unloaded it in her parking spot. She was sure it would stay there for weeks.
    The previous owner was a very nice guy who by trade was a machinest by trade and his two garages were packed with lathes, milling machines, surface grinders ect. along with wood working equipment. I think he was happy that someone was buying the lathe to fix up and use, and not for scrap or to part out. The more we working getting the lathe into the trailer and talking to the guy he kept comming back with stuff I could use for the lathe. He ended up throwing in two faceplates, a 4 jaw chuck, a steady rest, a box of tool holders, a tool post, and a box of stuff I still haven't gone through. The he said he had a craftsman 2hp 110/220 motor all wired up with a reversing switch that he's sell for $100. It was like christmas! I'll need to clean it up and put a new coat of paint on it, replace the compound which was welded shut, and possibly fix or replace a couple gears, but thats it. While going through the drawers I found a double compound looking thing that has a spot for a tool post (its laying on the bed right in front of the tailstock). If anyone knows what it is please tell me. The total damage so far is $500 for the lathe, motor and tooling. $8 lunch for my buddy, a $42 uhaul rental and a half a tank of gas. Here's some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Old school.I can do a few things with the older models.
    SOON-We already lost the war. You are the resistance.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Nice! And while the weight was an issue for moving it, it's a big plus for bedding and accuracy.

some day, some day
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

You just made my shitlist Moleman!!!!

I have not run across any great deals or finds for some time now. That is not bad at all for $550~~~

Very nice!
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bellson View Post
    You just made my shitlist Moleman!!!!

I have not run across any great deals or finds for some time now. That is not bad at all for $550~~~

Very nice!
    I'm on the wifes list too! I've found an original compound for sale for around $200 so by the time I'm all done it'll be at least $750. I hope to get a big chunk of that money back by selling my enco lathe with a nice bison chuck stand, steady +follower rests and whatever tooling that wont fit this lathe.

Feedback Score

Nice score, I can see a few More Suomi builds and others in your future.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Nice
    And a good find, that looks like a nice old & solid lathe.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

To me that piece in front of the tool post looks like it might be a vertical milling attachment. There's probably a place to bolt it up vertically somewhere on the apron or saddle. With it you can chuck up a endmill in the spindle and mount your work to the milling attachment. Works kinda like a sideways milling machine.

Good score BTW. I really like those older machines. They're usually a lot sturdier than the newer stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

GoMopar440, it very well could be a milling attachment. I haven't really played around with how it would bolt on yet. I spent the day removing the old phase 3 stuff from the lathe since the motor I have for it is a single phase. I also started on an adaptor plate for the motor. The chuck seems to be on pretty tight so I sprayed it down good with penetrating oil several times today and will deal with it another day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Most of the milling attachments I have seen simply slide into the T slot on the compound and tighten down.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.