Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Central Machinery mill

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default index milling machine

Thanks for all the info it sure does help a lot.

The guy got back to me but he could'nt get the model number. But here is what I got it's 2hp,comes with a set of collets 1/4 to3/4 with m/t holder this is a brown & sharp tapper, 9 x 42 table, power feed on X axis and spindle, 220 volts 3 phase with a phase converter.

Is brown & sharpe tapper bad? I was hoping it was R8 but I don't know these machines to well. Would I be able to get things for the brown & tapper easily?

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Sounds like the Index mill is about the size of a Bridgeport. The accessories are a good deal. The #9 B&S taper is not "bad" just tedious to remove when stuck. They are still available from selected sources but not the Grizzly-Enco big box store sources. Check Kitts Industrial Tools (1-800-521-6579) in Detroit. It was a fun place to shop when I lived in that area 30 years ago.

Another B&S taper sources is Production Tool Supply in Warren, MI and elsewhere. This is where I got my B&S #9 taper endmill holders for my US Machinetool Cincinatti mill 25 years ago. I got a 1 inch toolholder for big mill shanks.

Endmill toolholders use a setscrew to lock in the cutter rather than collet squeeze. Mo better especially for the sticky B&S taper. The B&S taper tooling is getting scarcer. Perhaps ebay may be a handier source for these.

Check all sources before buying any mill to your satisfaction.

VD

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

What he said about checking on the B&S taper thing, once you know what's out there campared to what your getting (you might be getting more then enough to work with), I think the price is fair for what your getting.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Another source for B&S taper tooling etc is: Tools4cheap LLC Online Machine Shop Tooling Store which is located in Harvard, MA (978-621-1979).

Did you do anything with that Index mill deal ???

VD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default 1 hp enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello Dark Knight,
    Another source for B&S taper tooling etc is: Tools4cheap LLC Online Machine Shop Tooling Store which is located in Harvard, MA (978-621-1979).

Did you do anything with that Index mill deal ???

VD
    No I called the guy to look at it and somebody drove to his house and gave him 1200 dollars without even looking at the machine.

I think I'm going to get a bridgeport at a industrial surplus store. The parts for them seem very common and they have a good rep. I've been looking around and you can get a 1 hp with power feed for $1200- $1300 or cheaper. I think R8 is the way to go as well.

I was thinking that 1 hp would be enough power. Have any of you guys with a 1 hp bridgeport ran into issue with not having enough HP? I'm probaly getting to big of a machine but by the time I buy and move a bench model and all the tooling I might as well get a bigger machine.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Be sure to check the quill taper on any Bridgeport mill you find as some didn't use the popular R-8. B-Ports aren't THAT big (but not a toy either)!!! The dove tail rams as opposed to round kind are the desireable type of B-Port mill. Yes, lots of parts both new and used are available for these machines.

One HP should be enough power if you have true 3-phase current available. A static converter box will provide only about 2/3 HP for a 1 HP mill motor as it actually is only a starter device so your mill can run on single phase current !!!

A larger rotory phase converter (RPC) can provide more power ie the mill's full sticker rating when the idler motor has extra HP rating like 33% to 50% more than your mill.

My K&T Milwaukee 2H horizontal (universal) has an added B-port head on the overarms. I'm restoring that machine for my new little shop. The shop measures just 10 x 15 ft.

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 04-05-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add more info...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

central machinery complex machine

central machinery complex machine 981

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.