Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I got a Beaver milling machine

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

"The Standard #30 and #40 tapers are not the same whatsoever as the R-8. The Std #30 and #40 tapers use a notched flange to drive them. The R-8 uses a keyway on the side of the taper for driving. They also look very different from the R-8."

Thats what I thought I just came across a couple of posts but I couldn't find anything to back it up. I'm not trying to ask to many questions it's just hard to learn all the tapers and I have never got to see them in person.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Tapers can be very confusing as there are so darn many of them... all different !!!

When we were cleaning the add-on Bridgeport head on my K&T I discovered an R-8 collet still in place. So I removed it and showed it to my nephew explaining what it was etc. His Cincinatti bench mill uses Std NT #30 taper tooling and he'd just learned what that type looks like. He looked at the R-8 collet and said "wait a munute...". He returned with a large box filled with R-8 collets. "That looks just like these !!". I about fell over !! haha.

Try to get a copy of "Machinery's Handbook" which is the bible of this technology. New copies are rather spendy but older ones can be had on ebay, amazon.com, etc much less. My copy is the 1955 edition and has zilch CNC info as it is mainly manual machining technology.

Ask your questions as that is how we learn stuff.

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 04-16-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: clarify sentences...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Well I didn't get the beaver.

Instead I got a 2hp series 1 bridgeport for $1,500 in pretty good shape. It has x power feed but needs some work and has the DRO but is missing the display. He put in some collets. The seller was a great guy. He used to be a Sot and produced a lot of machine guns. He showed my all his machines man he had everything. I took a bunch of pics i'll post them later.

Feedback Score

This is turning into quite an adventure !!!! Can't wait to see your pictures. Have you decided how to move your new acquisition ???

VD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    This is turning into quite an adventure !!!! Can't wait to see your pictures. Have you decided how to move your new acquisition ???

VD
    yes it is man I've got it loaded into the back of my truck right now. I'm in Cincinnati getting ready to go eat at Pappadeaux. Great place to eat I was close so wanted to get some. I'm just going to use a 2 ton lift and take it apart if I have to.

Feedback Score

Cincinatti ??? That's got to be at least 150 miles down river !!! Here in Arizona that's no big deal as it is all wide open space here but back east that's a drive !!! Drive safely !!!

VD

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Dark Knight, missing the display?/ I just happpen to have a display I dont need.

What do the plugs look like?

PM me.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Are you still on the road ???

VD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Got it moved today

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello Dark Knight,
    Are you still on the road ???

VD
    Hey, no I got back yesturday at dusk. I got the machine moved today and I got a lot of pics. I put it on the back of my truck and then took the head and ram off with the engine lift. I had to do it with the lift in the garge and the truck in the drive way because the mill was so tall on the truck. Then backed my truck into my garage and lifted the rest then drove the truck out from under it. It took all day. For the first part it was only my dad and me. After the ram and head was off my brother was home to help us out.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Have you been able to reassemble your Bridgeport ?? Do you have a power source for it ??? Any test chips yet ???

VD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.