Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Actually I got a series 1 bridgeport

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Good Going DK. That is a serious hunk of iron. Good find. I bought a used BP about 2 years ago and have never looked back. Can't be beat.
    Congrats again.
    Bill
    Bill from Spartanburg

Be like an old dog!!!! If you can't eat it or screw it, just piss on it and walk away!!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthnow View Post
    Good Going DK. That is a serious hunk of iron. Good find. I bought a used BP about 2 years ago and have never looked back. Can't be beat.
    Congrats again.
    Bill
    thanks

Hey VD, it is a one shot lube system it was off of the machine and the guy looked around his shop and found me one. The place is located in Lawrenceburg KY. The website is ACI Machine Tools Sales, LLC, Lawrenceburg, KY - Home great guy to deal. Aslo bought that rotory becasue now I have to get a lathe haha and with the rotory you get like 97% of the power.

If i get some time i'm going to take that power feed apart and check over the board. I run a business with my brother fixing electronics mostly music equipment. We are certified with a bunch of companies. Beyond Sanity Productions So if you guys need work done with electronics I might be able to help. Send it my way I'll give you a good deal. .

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I run a business with my brother fixing electronics mostly music equipment.
    That's funny you brought that up, I might get in touch later to see if you can fix a guitar amp I've had in the closet for a few years.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Your RPC at 3 hp should be sufficient for up to 2 hp loads. Bet you already knew that !!

The RPC can also handle a 3 phase 2hp lathe !! A larger HP lathe would require either a larger RPC, an added parallel RPC, or perhaps even just idling your B'port in a parallel circuit. I suspect that you know more about this than I do.

A large lathe is a major good thing to have !!! Bigger is better (if you have the room). Take a look at moleman's thread here. He's doing a resto on a Sheldon lathe. I'm doing a resto on my 5918 Clausing (and K&T Milwaukee mill).

VD

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

VIper,

yeah that is a only a 3 hour ride for me so its very doable if a price is good. will go check out the link he put in here.

thanks guys!
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Were you able to fix your B'port power feed drive ??? Made any chips yet ???

VD

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello Dark Knight,
    Were you able to fix your B'port power feed drive ??? Made any chips yet ???

VD

Yeah I have done some test milling and it ran pretty good. I got the power feed to work. All it needed was some wires resoldered and new switches it cost me about five dollars. I also got the DRO working. I was missing the display, so I found one on ebay for $50 bucks sombody cut the power cord off of. The X axis zero button was worn out so I replaced all the zero switches with side mounted ones. I hate those type of switches they always break. The ones I replaced them with are going to last way longer. I hooked up the display and it works great it's a three axis.

If you guys need DROs worked on or power feeds my business can do it just PM me. I'll give you a gunco discount.

I am rebuilding the top end right now I replaced the front vari disc bushing and now I am working on the motor side. I got the bearings to replace while I'm in there I got some new old stock ones.

VD, I'm sure you know all about rebuilding the top end. The hardest part is when you glue the motor bushing in you have to bore it out so it is perfectly centered on the shaft I found a guy in fairmont who said he will do it for close to free. If you've got some advise it would come in handy.

I could have ran the machine for a while without rebuilding it but, while I was working on it I wanted to do it right. The bushing were lose but none of them had been wore away. So there shouldn't be any damage.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Sounds like your B'Port has turned out very well. The power feed and DRO are real assets for ease of mill work. Noisy, worn B'Port vari speed drives are not rare. Fortunately I have not had to dig into mine. You are way ahead of me !!

For specific help on your B'Port head I reccommend that sub-forum on Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web . The fellows there are extremely knowlegeable about repair tricks, sources, etc. A parts manual is vital for this work. It is also most important to get the lube chart for your machine to find all the points and keep them serviced properly with oil. Grease is rarely used on mills. Wish I could be more helpful here.

VD PS: I recall you have a one-shot lube pump. That is a great help but still check all the usual suspects !!!
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 05-15-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: add info...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

yeah I got that one shot working too. It does a good job, really gets the oil into the ways. Thats the cool thing about these bridgeports is that you can find any on them. I got a bunch of service manuals which help a lot.

I can't wait until i get to really put it to use. I was going to use it on a m64 reweld I did to clear out the rails what do you guys think is the best cutter for that. I was thinking some type of woodruff cutter. What material have you guys found that cuts weld the best?

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Milling on welds can really eat up HSS cutters. I suggest carbide and go slow with coolant as welds on carbon or alloy steels can be very hard (depending upon how they cooled off).

Some places you can use small fiber-reinforced abrasive discs on a mandrel to grind smooth weld lumps with a mill. Take care to keep the grit out of the mill bearing surfaces.

Woodruff key cutters while handy can be spendy. The HSS key cutters may not be able to carve the hardened weld areas.

VD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.