Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Actually I got a series 1 bridgeport

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Actually I got a series 1 bridgeport

Well, I got to aci machine Tool sales and service and the beaver wasn't too bad and still was a good deal but he had like eight bridgeports lined up. The beaver was a little big and the motor looked smaller than the bridgeport. So the guy gave me a deal on one of the series ones he had. It has the 2j2 head on it with variable speed and power downfeed. It also came with a power feed on the x that needs just a little work and glass DROs on the x and y but there missing the display but I have been looking and you can get one for pretty cheap. Even if its not the same brand all you have to do is change the pin out to match the machine. I ended up getting the mill for $1500.

Mark showed me around the place he had everything. CNC everthing he used to be an SOT and produce machine guns. He was working on a bowling ball cannon when I came he had the barrel in one of his CNC lathes. He put the mill on the back of my truck for me with a huge forklift. Then I went to cincinnati to eat at pappadeaux spent the night then headed back home.

To move the machine I used a 2 ton engine hoist and a come along. I backed my truck up the hill then put the lift up to the head removed it then put it on a dolly in garage. Then I took the ram off with the lift. After that the hardest part started I got some chain, bolts and washers and used the X that holds the ram to lift the rest. I backed my truck in my garage and lifted it off the bed then drove the truck out from under it. I got it all put together then a couple days later cleaned it up really good I don't have any pics of that but I will post them later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

more pics

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

couple more

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Nice
    patiently waiting for more pics
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Thanks for taking and sharing your pictures !!! That was a serious road trip for a cool machine. Try to get a manual of parts and maintenance for your Bridgeprt. That will help you identify things and find the proper lube points. Don't forget to get a copy of "Machinery's Handbook" too.

There are many favorites for cleaning and rust removal. Zep purple cleaner is fairly strong caustic stuff to remove grease and varnish etc. Rusty surfaces can be scrubbed with WD-40 (or kerosine or diesel) and steel wool without causing damage.

You'll likely have a bunch of questions so ask away and we'll try to get you the best answers.

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 04-23-2010 at 02:58 AM. Reason: miserable spelling...

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am green with envy! You are going to be so much happier with a real machine over a machine that's compromise for space. Congratulation on your score!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks guys I cleaned it up a couple of days ago. I used a ton of super clean and purple power. Then I coated the whole thing with WD40. It's a lot better looking now. It is two colors in parts but I don't care. The ways are pretty tight and everything moves pretty smooth. It was in a GE factory and you could tell it hadn't been cleaned for a while. I got a 3HP Rotary phase convertor and going to run a sub panel to my garage because I need more power out there already. The mill also came with an oiler It is only missing the four way above the pump and it should work as well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

very nice.

im still looking for a good deal like this.
    say what you mean & mean what you say

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I got it hooked up and it runs pretty good. The power feed on the table works the pot just seems a little dirty. I'll take more photos when I get the oiler and the power feed running in top shape.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    You are way ahead of me !!! Good going !!!
    The oil pump you mention sounds like a "one-shot" lube system. Those are very good to have and usually indicate a machine with minimal wear !!!

Your RPC can also power up other 3-phase machines for your shop but keep only one load on at a time. Other machines can idle at the same time no problem.

Hello Dutigaf,
    I think you are in Ohio so a road trip to Cincinatti would be reasonable. You may be able to score a good deal on a B'port at the same place. I have driven from Toledo through Cincinatti to Ft Knox numerous times often with a military convoy.

VD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.