Thread: Classic machining books for free

Feedback Score

Default Classic machining books for free

Free Books on Machining

Thanks to the efforts of Google Books Google Books and Internet Archive Internet Archive: Free Movies, Music, Books & Wayback Machine , there are thousands of classic books on machining available on the Internet. On both Sites, books that are no longer protected by copyright (roughly before 1930) can be word searched and are available for download as PDF. If you have manual machinery, most of the information and principles still apply.

During the late 1800s and early 1900s, there were an enormous amount of individuals looking for training in the skilled profession of running machining equipment. Several companies offered correspondence books to learn how to use this equipment at home. These companies merged over time, and some had multiple names. Here are a few examples for the company names: International Textbook Company, International Correspondence Schools, American Technical Society, and American School of Correspondence. International Correspondence Schools published a large series of books under the title of “International Library of Technology”. American Technical Society produced bounded volumes with the titles “Cyclopedia of Mechanical Engineering”, “Cyclopedia of Modern Shop Practice”, “Modern Engineering Practice”, and later “Modern Shop Practice”

Other companies published short booklets on various machining topics. Industrial Press covered 140 aspects of machining in “Machinery’s Reference Series”, with another 20 of charts and additional information in “Machinery’s Data Series”. Both of these sprang from issues of their magazine “Machinery”. A few years later, Industrial Press expanded and consolidated the booklets into a twelve volume set in titled “Machinery Library”. The 1915 version of “Machinery’s Handbook” is available on Google.

Books authored by the following people are worth looking into: Eric Oberg, Franklin Jones, Joshua Rose, Henry Burghardt, Fred Colvin, Frank Stanley, Robert Smith, William Rogers, and Nehemiah Hawkins

Even individual companies published books on how the run there equipment. A great example is “A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines”, by the Cincinnati Milling Machine Company. Aside from discussing the equipment by Cincinnati, it goes on to cover more advances aspects of milling machine fixtures and work holding, and details on how to machining gears.

The above names should give you plenty of search words and phases. Happy Hunting!

Feedback Score

Thanks woodworker2,
    Fortunately I have some of these classics hardcover in my library. My dial-up won't handle book-sized downloads neither will my printer.

Lindsay's Technical Books does repro's of many classic texts for modest prices.

Also I have saved and collected many of my old college texts on these topics. Used book stores on campus will have quality bound machinery texts at reasonable prices. Those text editions no longer in vogue for scheduled courses can be had at great discounts. Early editions tend to have less to little CNC info.

Brand new college texts are usually very spendy !!!!

VD

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks, I'll look through those links when I get a chance.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Default Lindsay Publications

As another Member noted, Lindsay Publications Lindsay's Technical Books has a wonderful selection of books on machining and many other topics. Although some of these books are offered on Ebay, they normally cost less when purchased directly from Lindsay.

Lindsay has published many of the classics, and portions of the “International Library of Technology”. Some of these books are available on Google, but others are not. Usually, if it was published after the 1930's you won't find it on Google.

An additional source for books is the Digital Library of India (the copyright laws are different and so books through the 1950's +/- are available). Their collection is much more modest Digital Library of India: Indian Institute of Science

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    My dial-up won't handle book-sized downloads neither will my printer.
    You can use bittorrent to download them, the protocol is bandwidth-agnostic.

You can use an old palm pilot to carry them around with you (to read or consult). These old palm pilots don't cost more than $20 or $30, and they're good for more than carrying around books.

Feedback Score

Thanks for the guidance.

VD

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.