Metal Lathe for a Dollar !!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Lathe for a Dollar !!!

Feedback Score

Default Metal Lathe for a Dollar !!!

One more time...
    There is a neet oldies metal lathe for sale on ebay currently 1 bid at a $1.oo. The # is: 300468576473 and it is back east in Newfoundland, NJ. This is a 10x24 inch metal lathe with manual gear threading and some tooling with a 110 vac motor and weighs in at about 500 lbs. Brand ??? I can't tell, an early american made machine likely. The seller can ship.

This machine looks nice. It ain't mine. It may fit the bill for those gunguys here living back east who don't have the big bux or big space but need a lathe.

PS: This auction ends 22 Sep @ 17:15 PDT. Added note: As of this AM (Fri) the lathe is still at $1.oo ie one buck !!!

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 09-18-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add info

Feedback Score

As of Saturday AM this lathe has zoomed up to $5.50 !! Newfoundland, NJ must be a difficult place to locate. I recall that it is just east of Pennsylvania.

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

That looks like a nice older lathe Viper Dude. There are yahoo groups for older lathes that can help answer questions and find/make repair parts. Viper Dude told me about the sheldon group when I bought a 1952 sheldon lathe earlier this year. Here is the direct link to the auction Metal Lathe - eBay (item 300468576473 end time Sep-22-10 17:15:59 PDT)

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Newfoundland, NJ must be a difficult place to locate.
    Comes right up on Map Quest, it's very northern NJ near NY.

Watching it, won't bid until last day.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hello Coils,
    If this ebay lathe doesn't work out there is a 11x36 Meyers Lathe available from a fellow on practicalmachinest.com in Hagerstown, MD. for $350.oo. The lathe is nicely painted and has some tooling and gears. It also is an oldie as the Meyers lathes once were made in Columbia, PA.

If curious check the practical machinest thread in the Antique Machinery & History sub-forum. The seller is todd@littlelocos.com There are some nice pictures there as well as a discussion of the Meyers lathes.

PS: it ain't mine. I'm not a machinery broker either.

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here's another cheap one for $375 in NY on ebay SHELDON LATHE ~ ALL CAST IRON ~ CLEAN LATHE - eBay (item 290476554838 end time Sep-26-10 18:51:06 PDT) It doesn't look like it has the threading dial attached to it so I'd ask the seller about threading capabilities. Threading dials do pop up on ebay from time to time for sheldon lathes. 9" swing, they're saying 24" between centers, but it looks more like 18", and 1" spindle bore! which is pretty good for this size machine.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thanks VD,
    That's a clissic, isn't it? But it would be more then I need and the price is right.
    I looked a little on line but there's not much info on that company.
    I emailed him with a few questions, if he still has it I think I'll try and get it. Other then the tool holder (hope that's right) it looks complete.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Moleman, that's a very nice lathe for the price, but I think it will go up a good bit.

Feedback Score

Here is another Meyers lathe, a 10x36 inch with a QC gear box and some tooling in Fairport, NY @ $149.99 (1 bid) on ebay # 260664696091 with only a few hours left (until 1500 hrs today PDT). It needs paint and polish but appears OK. Being lazy I like the QC threading gear change box though the manual gears are a bit more amenable to metric change gears on an inch lathe.

At 3PM this lathe sold for $162.50 with only 2 bids !!! You can't build one for that price !!!

VD
    Last edited by Viper Dude; 09-21-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add info...

Feedback Score

The lathe in Newfoundland, NJ went for $305.oo with 41 bids. They really piled on at the end. What a bunch of sandbaggers !!!

VD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.