Belt Grinder
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt Grinder

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Default Belt Grinder

Just came across this when looking for other stuff.

I see there's people making there own, like in this link.
    Anyone know where to find info about building one of these?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

That's really cool. I have a couple of old vacuum cleaners that have good motors, was considering something simular. Not sure of the RPM on a vacuum cleaner, but it might be too fast.

For now I just use my Black and Decker belt sander mounted in the vise with the belt facing up (mounted upside down). Works for small parts.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I was looking at those bench top belt sanders when I came across those.
    I don't know if a vacuum motor will be enough, looks like most are using 1-2hp motor like on an air compressor, there was one guy that used a bench grinder motor.

The guy in the second link said he'll try to get some info out there but he's been busy.
    I'll keep an eye out and if I find anymore info I'll post it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

that thing is a TOOL!!

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Knive making websites is where I'd look. I have seen many plans there in the past. ( no links right now)
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Always sore, always tired Bradrock's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    " Save a tree...........Eat A Beaver!"

I seldom talk to liberals.............................. But when I do, I order fries............

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

that is a project worth building, a setup like that with interchangeable wheels and platen will allow you do do a lot of different grinding / polishing operations.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Thank you Bradrock, didn't think of looking there.

Pirate, yes it appears to be a multipurpose tool. There was one guy showing how he can swap out belts to grind off rust, then smooth with finer grits, then to a polishing belt to get a nasty looking railroad spike to look like it was chromed.

Feedback Score

The belt grinder in the vid appears to be a fairly sophisticated machine for a home-built project. I have used industrial belt machines with serious HP and they are a real treat to carve on steel, wood, whatever. They can also grab your work and launch it high velocity out the door or imbed it in the wall !!!! OOPSSHIT !!!

My friend had a great belt sander in his machine and fab shop. They are a real asset in a welding facility. I had a small 3/4 hp bench machine with a 4 inch wide belt x 5 ft. The opposite end had an 8 inch grinder/buffer wheel. Sometimes I'd install an 8 inch x 1 inch abrasive deburr fiber wheel on that end. Those wheels are a primo item for surfacing metal (but spendy). I recalll that the machine was an Enco item at a reasonable price 20 years ago.

VD

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

If you don't want to make one and don't want to spend too much, Grizzly has a 2x72 knife maker's belt grinder for $450. They used to sell reconditioned ones with full warranties on E bay.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.