Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vise for my Mill

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Vise for my Mill

Hey, I'm looking for a good vise. I have a Bridgeport with a V-2 head. I was thinking a 6" with a swivel base would be more than enough. I'm trying to get a used one because the market seems good for used machine tools.

You guys helped me with the machine so I figured you would have some good tips.

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    A 6 inch vise would be a useful size for your B-port mill. Keep a close watch on E-bay for a deal on a US-made 6 inch vise. The Anglok types are great but rather spendy.

I used a 6 inch asian vise on my US Machinetool mill. It worked OK for me. Also I used a matching pair of tilt-type 3 inch vises on that mill to secure long work, very handy.

Note that shipping a heavy vise can be more than the vise.

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Viper Dude is right on with watching ebay. Don't get caught up trying to outbid someone and you can end up with a great deal even if it takes you some time. I bought a 6" kurt angle lock for $78 and more than half of that was shipping since the vise is almost 75#. It didn't come with a set of jaws, but I got a new set for less than $20 shipped. It seems the ones with chewed up jaws go for alot cheaper also. I think I watched ebay on and off for a couple weeks to get that vise.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Ok cool that is what I was hoping to hear.

Silly question but how much should i worry about the bottom being ate up. Of course if it looks like the surface of the moon it's not good but what wear doesn't matter much? I figure if there is enough to get a flat surface it should be fine right?

After this new vise I just need VD and Moleman to teach me how to really use this thing. I'll just live in each of your yards for a week or so like a hobo and i'll buy the drinks. Cool? haha

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    Not to worry about the vise bottom being shot. They are solid cast steel. The usual wear/damage is on the jaws or drill divits into the frame made by idiots. As long as a parallel (spacer) will sit level and flat you are good to go. The worst damaged vises I've seen were done by students at the university machine shop. Homeshop guys are far more careful with their stuff.

The fastest way to learn to use a mill and/or lathe is to take those courses at a local community college or trade school. For some simple school projects you can make tooling etc for your homeshop !!! It's fun too !!! I've taught many students how to do this stuff. Get the texts books too for your personal library. They are real keepers. There are also teaching videos available to help learn these skills.

My intro into machinery operation was from my army ordnance section chief who had a small mill and lathe in his basement. We made gun stuff. I later bought his small Atlas bench mill and a 10x36 Atlas lathe. After leaving the Army I returned to college to study Manufacturing Engineering and learn to use the big stuff, properly.

VD

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Dark Knight,
    I hadn't touched a mill since high school back in the 80s' until I got my mill a couple years ago. Viper Dude, VZ58 and others answered (and continue to answer) the many questions I have. Some times I can figure stuff out, and other times I'm stumped. With rising parts kits prices as well as stricter demill standards, I think more and more home builders will be getting lathes and mills to help complete their builds. After spending hours to hacksaw and file parts out for years, then be able to mill them in a few minutes more accurate than before. I can't believe I didn't get a mill sooner.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yeah it does make it easy sometimes. I've used mine a good bit with a crappy vise. It make clearing the rail on a reweld a lot easier what was hour job becomes like five minutes. Also once you drill somthing with a real machine it all changes.

I might have found one on craigs list but the guy hasn't called me back yet so will see.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default This is what it looks like

I'm going next week to pick it up. It's 6" wide with 5" opening.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Good to see you found one, I was going to say check Craig's List.
    Keep your eye at for these old ones, they sell for good prices and new ones of the same quality run $300-1000
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Hello Dark Knight,
    What Coils said !!
    That vise looks serviceable to me and maybe only needs some cleaning. Good catch !!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR,
    VD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.